Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Nifty dashboard of the UK grid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 18 4:40 pm    Post subject: Nifty dashboard of the UK grid Reply with quote

Take a look at the UK energy makeup in realtime(-ish)
https://gridwatch.co.uk/

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 18 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, that's quite funky,

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 18 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Shows we still rely on gas to a very great extent. Wonder what will happen to the links with France and the Netherlands if/when we leave the EU.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 18 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty nifty. I'm surprised at how much renewable use. I'm quite impressed.

gz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 18 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Very interesting. Shows we still rely on gas to a very great extent. Wonder what will happen to the links with France and the Netherlands if/when we leave the EU.

If they are questioning Scotland's exports to Ireland, they must be doing the same with those...but I've seen no mention

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 18 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main gas interconnector to the continent runs from Belgium to Bacton (I was on the design team). Agreements on how much gas flows in which direction are currently the subject of commercial agreements rather than governmental ones, so with a bit of luck nothing will change, although I guess the transfer of custody of the gas will require some form of handshake deal to be done between customs entities. The bigger issue for me would be in regards to what would happen next time Mr Putin flexes his muscles and shuts off gas supplies to Europe. The EU would presumably prioritise routing what gas they did have to EU countries, meaning that the interconnector would probably be the first consumer to have its gas supply shut off.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 18 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something that has me worried too Shane. Currently DEFRA are having a hate on against burning wood and coal in the home as it is a source of greenhouse gasses and particulates, but they don't seem to have thought of that one. Imo, even for people with asthma a cold house and no way of heating or cooking food is going to be worse for them than the particulates that come from a fire.

Having been through the 3 day week in our young adulthood when there were rolling power cuts of quite a few hours, we have always made sure that we have the wherewithal to be self sufficient with heating, cooking and lighting, so having a fire we can also use for cooking seems an obvious thing for us. I also make candles, so we have them for lighting too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive