Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 18 7:16 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

sgt.colon wrote:
Yes I might have to take some other goodies down there DPack.

Ewwwww, you've tried woodlice? You're a braver man than I

You might like to put "Woodlice in the cultural consciousness of modern Europe" in your search engine and download A O Chater's fascinating paper, which mentions woodlouse sauce for use with fish!

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 18 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

i might not have found a woodlouse recipe i like , yet, , ta

the huge seaside version is delicious, better than prawns , they don't take much cooking about 30 sec in boiling limpet juice is ideal ( not for them ) for a one chewey then one crunchy style of cooking.

chopsticks for getting em out and a ruthless streak for popping em in might be useful

the big seaside ones are really really good eating and wildlife that has survived several mass extinctions even if it is delicious can take a few culls:lol:

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 18 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

this aft as it was getting dark a smallish owlshaped thing made an owl like drop off our roof into next doors yard.

the small size surprised me as i know we have barn owls about and i have seen a tawney, i have not seen a little round here.
it was the right size for a little

i am a little concerned there may have been a tragedy in the sammison family and that "the visitation of biiki" will be part of the sagas

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 18 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Unfortunately mice are rather vulnerable creatures, and prey for things like owls. In some ways it is as well, otherwise your Sammison family would become a menace with far too many Sammisons, grandsons, greatgrandsons and corresponding daughters etc. in one year.

Nice to see a little owl though.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 18 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

dik is training me,
i seem to be taming dik,

we have reduced the "comfortable" distance to a couple of feet even if i am moving

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 18 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That's good. We seem to be able to train the front door robin to come quite close to us, but the down the garden robin and I just co-exist doing our own thing with a chat every so often at a distance of a few feet. Perhaps I should give them names, then they might come closer.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 18 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

another short tail from the sammison saga.

yesterday i had put some steak n kidney pie crusts out for the magpies and jackdaws in the afternoon .
the bird table is the shed roof.

about 9pm i noticed one of the sammisons very busy moving bits to a safer place by dropping them over the edge to gather later. considering the exposure on a shed roof after dark i can only assume that snk pie is a prize worth risking all to get .

the use of gravity was rather interesting i had not seen that with the sammisons , going by the noises from below there was some team work going on.
i suspect drop and collect was in use, clever.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 18 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Interesting to know they use team work. Makes a lot of sense, but shows the family work as a group.

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 18 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Perhaps the one on the roof works for Just Eat, or Deliveroo, and gets paid to take the risks

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 18 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 18 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Maybe they're from NIMH?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 18 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Like that Buzzy.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 18 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I was working at bagging logs yesterday and this rather magnificent cock pheasant was making a row out the back of the store. It seemed completely unbothered by me even though I was throwing logs in its general direction and the bagging tray makes clanging and rumbling noises as I tip it to get the logs into the bags. It was there for ages, and by the sounds of things later we have several pheasants setting up territories in the woods. They may be feral, but in the past we have had shoots in the area, so they could have been bred for that. Very colourful and very vocal birds though.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 18 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

if you had a rumbley machine it might have wanted to fight it's " rival

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 18 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Might be interesting. They must have just arrived yesterday as today it was quiet, so they must have been setting up territories. Now is the time when walking through the woods quietly meditating to oneself results in a shock as a pheasant rises squawking in front of you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive