About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Blocking up a back door
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 18 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Ty for practise; as he says, the mortar can be scraped off easily and reused. Once you get it right, go with a more stable mix, although there is a lot to be said for lime mortar as it allows movement. The normal way of making sure you have a level wall is to put a line in it; you can get spiked ends to put into the mortar course, and use a straight edge or plumb bob to make sure you are right vertically. I am not a bricklayer, but husband did a course a few years ago, and has done some odd bricking jobs where needed at home.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 18 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I made a start this weekend. I got the inside done on Saturday and then I started on the outside on Sunday. I'm fairly pleased with it so far.

Inside, inside.

Inside, outside.

Outside, outside.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 18 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they match fairly well and it looks ok.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 18 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DPack.

I've read and reread everyone's advise on here and then gone really steady away when doing it. I have to say it was a bit fresh sat out there yesterday and the wind blew down the side of the house.

The brick matching guy did a great job off just a photo.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 18 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you take a photo of the upper part of the outside up to where you removed the cracked lintel porch,looking at the brickwork you have done and the brickwork above lintel on page 2,something is different in the brickwork,the bond has changed,or these new bricks are shorter.

If you drop a plumb line down from a few course above one should be able to see what the difference is,if you look at the brickwork above the courses are uninterrupted right across the opening.

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 18 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Sgt Colon , now I've got this long section of garden wall needing a rebuild I assume you'll be able to start in January

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 18 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DD, I'll see if I can squeeze you in next year.

Ty, once I make it up there and get the lintel removed I'll do some photos for you. I know what you mean about the brickwork, I thought it would be a straight run across but it's not and I'm having to put half bricks in. It's left me confused.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 18 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't removed the lintel yet,follow the brickwork above the lintel either side of the doorway,then follow them bricks downwards,you will see what`s happened then.

What width was the door?must be a narrow one.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 18 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ty I'll give that a go and see what I get.

The door was just a normal size door, I thought. To fill the gap in on the inside took just under two lengths of the concrete blocks which were 440 mm in long.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 18 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s what I`m confused about,normally it takes 2 blocks like yours and 4 bricks to fill a gap of 36ins.

What is the width of the outside opening?

Measure length of bricks in the wall either side and the new ones you`ve got,there is something strange going on there.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 18 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get that sorted and report back.

On an aside, the bricks at the bottom of the door that I took out were from Accrington which is about 40 miles away from where we are.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 18 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty, I've not dropped a plumb line yet but you can see from the picture below how I think it's just the brick laying that's a bit rubbish. All along the gable end there is no symmetry.

This is my door blocking so far. Hoping to get the strongboys in this weekend and get finished before Christmas day.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 18 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the yellow 3/4 in the brickwork in top photo,that is what you need doing to get the bond to look more corresponding.

I`d knock the top 3 courses off,they are spoiling the rest of your work,and use 3/4 ers to keep a bond.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 18 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep , recover the bond

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 18 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Do you mean the top three layers of what I've done? I'm not sure I can be bothered with that. I don't love the house that much

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive