Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 188, 189, 190  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 18 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack, are the green parakeets in york the same as the monk parakeets in NYC? https://brooklynparrots.com/the-wild-brooklyn-parrot-faq/

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 18 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are parakeets in Kent too. They seem to be staying there there though, as I haven't heard of any moving west.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 18 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working down the garden the other day, the robin, I think the one I have known since before it had a red breast, came and had a chat. It was sitting among the blackberry stems I was cutting and twittering gently to me. I have had a robin do this before, so assume it was talking to me. I left it a newly dug raised bed, some newly turned compost and a bit of ground I took the leaves off, so with any luck I have done my duty by it.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 18 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam Lady wrote:
dpack, are the green parakeets in york the same as the monk parakeets in NYC? https://brooklynparrots.com/the-wild-brooklyn-parrot-faq/

they did look very similar, i need to use bins or a decent camera lens to check details as they seem to prefer being at tree top level.
the pale beak is the same, size, general colour scheme and shape are rather like that sort.

they did have pale beaks which eliminates a few spp.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 19 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at a more domestic level of avians dik is training me well, woodlice are very popular and i am becoming something of a wormmellier although i still pick the occasional unacceptable one.
size and species matters but for some reason unknown to me so far about 1 in 20 mid sized common earth worms gets a taste test and a lot of spitting/beak wiping as a rejection. i will observe and try to learn.

there are some tiny whiteish insects in the hedge planter soil which get hoovered up in a rather amusing dance, millipedes seem popular, bird seed and steak n kidney pie are popular.
grannie used homemade shortbread to tame her's but never shared the recipe so i will stick to bushtucker n pies

he came within a few inches of my serving hand this aft which bodes well for me training him to hand feed and perch on me

the last one that would perch for calling was a chaffinch ( cheepy cheap does not count as she thought i was her ugly mother ) and young sparrows just land without being invited

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 19 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Dpack. I had a robin visit me in the log store yesterday. It didn't stay long, but at least long enough to say hello and didn't fly away at once when it saw me. The wood robins can get quite tame as well as the garden ones, particularly if we are disturbing the leaves on the ground to uncover food for them. One built a nest where we were working one year, and mother robin watched our goings on with great interest while incubating the eggs. Gave her something to look at during what must have been a pretty boring time.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 19 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a robin in the warehouse I work in in the morning. I am not able to get near enough to say he is a close friend, but he takes the crumbs I put out for him. I guess if I was there every day-I'm assuming they don't do calendars-he may be a bit more adventurous towards me, but if he keeps coming, I will give progress reports.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 19 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snacks are a good basis for birds to tame humans, we get snacks you think you are clever. love dik

my chum likes woodlice and is getting quite tame, love dpack

it works for both of us

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 19 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 19 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breaking news from the sammison sagas

i have a house guest, there was a recycling incident, a bit of a search and scamper and afaik he is now resting up somewhere in rather a lot of clutter in the sitting room within a few feet of me

it is only 2 doors to return him to his family with gifts and good wishes but the great trek continues

i almost had a clean hand catch after moving everything but him and a roll of carpet in the hall but he jumped between my fingers at the very last mo and then did a t5000 series melt under a door

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 19 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a live trap; it is the only way. They are greasy little blighters. I don't mind mice, in fact our wood mice are rather lovely, but not in the house.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 19 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no sign of him so far, it is possible he got under the floor and has exited via a rather large hole air brick.
the cashew is untouched and i have heard no rummaging
no dought we will find out.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 19 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one or no doors to go.

the vac under the units flushed him into sight in the kitchen, opportunity to leave quietly has been provided. at the mo that opportunity will be on offer a few more times. it is a one way trip as popping in for supplies will not happen unless his exploration becomes lucrative trade for me. ( bits of bark are not a fair price for spices and silks )

chompy thinks something crossed the threshold and ran across some apple rootstocks in pots outside. there was quite a bit of rummaging in mouse town.

the saga of farulfa sammison continues, at least there has been no tragedy so far

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 19 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doors to go , probably

avian news is dik has reduced his personal space distance to very close
human news is i got brave cos it is cold and then he got the food

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 19 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 188, 189, 190  Next
Page 14 of 190
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive