Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How many of you are salivating over seed catalogues?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 9:43 am    Post subject: How many of you are salivating over seed catalogues? Reply with quote

Which ones do you use?
What are you planning to grow?

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I topped up on the seeds I was missing yesterday. I ordered from real Seeds because they are based in Wales and as they produce their own seeds, I know the growing conditions are suitable. They also concentrate on flavour and not just productivity.

I didn't do much last year (too busy) but I am growing this year, although not in as big a way as I used to.

Some standard favourites that I know always work:

Tomatoes: (in the greenhouse)

Galina Cherry, Green Zebra & Grushovka

Peppers:(in the greenhouse)

Kaibi Round, Lipstick & Amanda

Chilli:

Palivec & Basque

Winter Squash:

Burgess Buttercup & Sweet Dumpling (SD purchased from Nicky's Nursery)

Beetroot: red, white and yellow

Greens:

Cavalo Nero, Leeks, Pak Choi, lettuce, etc

Aside from the above, I am trialling the following: Orange Banana Tomato, Purple Ukraine Tomato, Musquee de Provence Winter Squash, Queensland Blue Winter Squash

I have also discovered that buying in 2 grafted Aubergine plants & popping them in the greenhouse works very well and buying in some Butternut seedlings from the garden centre because I have not had much luck with seeds on either front.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought all mine at the back end of last year from Real seeds and a couple from Suttons, so there is no point on me looking now.

I got, sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, chillies, parsnips, cucumber, peas. I think that was everything.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot, I have Sugar snap pea and mange tout seeds as well (from a couple of years back).

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
I bought all mine at the back end of last year from Real seeds and a couple from Suttons, so there is no point on me looking now.

I got, sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, chillies, parsnips, cucumber, peas. I think that was everything.

What tomato varieties did you grow?

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't started yet.
Hope to have clear head next week.
Need to plan for raised veg beds, 2 greenhouses and flowers for garden.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 19 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look through last years seeds and see what I am short of. Need to get some leeks going soon as I sow them in a pot and plant out, so can go out quite early. Tend to grow; mange tout peas, runner and climbing French beans, purple sprouting broccoli, curly kale, and last couple of years have grown summer and winter cabbage as well, onions from sets, carrots, parsnips, salsify, sweetcorn (usually unsuccessful), pattypan squashes as I can't seem to get butternuts and courgettes. Also grow potatoes, and tomatoes, peppers or squashes/courgettes in the greenhouse.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 19 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:

What tomato varieties did you grow?

I'll have a look at my packets when I pop down to the allotment this weekend and report back.

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 19 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm always interested in finding good flavoured tomatoes!

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 19 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burpee big boy

dont snigger, well if you must, but they are vigorous, outdoor if sheltered, delicious raw or cooked and very heavy cropping over a decent length of time if well fed and watered even in minimum soil
i had 2 in a window box that were 8 ft tall and 10 ft across between them when tied to the net and pipes up a sunny wall corner . semi hydroponic with regular feed n water and enough soil to get em started works but is a bit of a chore. once a day watering probably needs a minimum few cu ft of decent soil as they are quite thirsty
they are big but can be trained

best toms out of quite a few i have grown

another that have have been good are sweet million planted out under bed sized cloches in march to get an early start for a june/july harvest
intercropped with vigorous chilli plants they are self supporting once the cosy comes off.
needs a decent aspect and very good soil, i double dig and add a foot of activated raw manure under the refill of soil and well rotted composted stuff. plant into the heap as close as decent and cover . the fermenting manure adds a few degrees of temp above that of just the cloche as well as providing extra water retention and food once the roots are long enough to get to it it has done the hot bit and is ready to slurp.

i also have tomato disasters roll:

Shan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 19 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall look that up!

Shan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 19 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggling to find it in the UK. You can find Big Boy seeds but not Burpee Big Boy and from what various reviewers have said, the seeds selling here as Big Boy are definitely not the same as the American Burpee Big Boy.

Please tell me where you get yours from?

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 19 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a couple of plants off one of the local veg growers/market traders.

no idea where they got them, maybe best not to ask if they came by post.

Shan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 19 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 19 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get my seeds all sorted out and the chillis and aubergines sown. I find that they need the longer growing period with heat under to get a decent crop here.

Also, my name is Joanne and I'm a veggie seed addict!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive