Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How many of you are salivating over seed catalogues?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 19 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
I bought all mine at the back end of last year from Real seeds and a couple from Suttons, so there is no point on me looking now.

I got, sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, chillies, parsnips, cucumber, peas. I think that was everything.

What tomato varieties did you grow?

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you Shan. I've got two types and they are....

Orange banana vine tomato and Costoluto Fiorentino. Not sure what they are like as this is the first year I'll be growing them.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 19 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanne wrote:
I need to get my seeds all sorted out and the chillis and aubergines sown. I find that they need the longer growing period with heat under to get a decent crop here.

Also, my name is Joanne and I'm a veggie seed addict!

do you use a deep bed with raw manure at the base, then growing soil on top. with a cloche or greenhouse for shelter?
i found that gave an extra few degrees for chillies etc.

activated manure can get quite warm

re seeds i am very limited on space but i will find a few places that dont have small trees and grafts in them

as i only need one or two of big things i tend to get raised plants and the odd packet of radish or salady green things.

gz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 19 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just browsing seed packets here in NZ..it's surprising how many UK companies sell here..I saw Browns in the local Chinese dollar store!

Who would sell Lebanese cucumber seeds in the UK? We've been given some produce here and they are tasty and sweet..but our friend couldn't remember the seed company .....

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 19 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Shan wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
I bought all mine at the back end of last year from Real seeds and a couple from Suttons, so there is no point on me looking now.

I got, sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, chillies, parsnips, cucumber, peas. I think that was everything.

What tomato varieties did you grow?

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you Shan. I've got two types and they are....

Orange banana vine tomato and Costoluto Fiorentino. Not sure what they are like as this is the first year I'll be growing them.

Orange banana has a good sweet flavour with a little acidity.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 19 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanne wrote:
I need to get my seeds all sorted out and the chillis and aubergines sown. I find that they need the longer growing period with heat under to get a decent crop here.

Also, my name is Joanne and I'm a veggie seed addict!

These days, I cheat with Aubergines and buy 2 decent grafted plants.

gz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 19 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costuluto Fiorento is a good one, good and solid and tasty. When I grew it it was one of the first to succumb to blight...but it was a bad year and they had been sown late...

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 19 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'm very excited about the ones I've bought.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 19 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of seeds. I just love buying those little packets of promise for only a few pounds.

As usual, I have no suitable garden. Why couldn’t I have moved in November?!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 21 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit early, but we had to go to a garden centre for something else yesterday, and they had seed potatoes and onion sets in, so bought some. I was unsure about the potatoes, but as husband said, better I have them chitting up at home too early than sat in a garden centre getting long shoots. Put them out in seed trays in a cool room, so hope they will be all right until I can plant them out. The onion sets are in the larder which is pretty cool, so should be all right. I must go through the seeds now and see what I need.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 21 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got Kings/Suffolk Herbs and Garden Organic/Dobies catalogues..it would be so easy to spend a mint!!
Must go through the seed stash and see what has gone too old and what is missing

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 21 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am salivating over a south facing place to put some after last year, i might get some onion setts and a few more perennial herbs but my "day" is so short as to be really hard unless we have very good weather for 5 months

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 21 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing potatoes for the first time this year. Please could someone explain them to me? First earlies, second earlies? I understand the main crop bit though.

Also, which are good ones to eat please, there are sooooooo many.

Thanks.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 21 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never get maincrops as blight will definitely get them.

Anya- great salad/new potato, keeps really well

Red Duke of York- good chips and jackets

Yukon gold - best I ever grew for chips, good jackets too.

Those are the three that spring to mind

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 21 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on your ground and weather. Although we are in the south, it isn't really safe to put them out in our colder microclimate before some time in April, depending on the way spring is looking, so I tend to go for main crop. I occasionally have trouble with blight, but rarely and if necessary dig them early.

First earlies will be the fasted to crop second earlies next. As Tahir says, they are not likely to suffer from blight as they come out early, but also should go in earlier.

For main crop I usually grow Desiree and King Edwards. King Edwards are an old variety and rather prone to blight, but I usually manage and they are an excellent potato for most things. Desiree are a red skinned variety and again a good all rounder. I think it is perhaps 50 or so years old, but I find it quite reliable.

Remember potatoes need a lot of water. If the summer is dry, the crop will be a lot less.

GrahamH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 21 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt. Colon.
One of my favourite meals is newly dug potatoes, boiled served with butter.
On their own. Mmmm....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive