Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bacon chop anyone?

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 19 2:44 pm    Post subject: Bacon chop anyone? Reply with quote

I thought I'd put this in the grow your own bit because it seemed fitting.

So, who would eat it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47611026

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 19 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a few endangered species that are delicious, if a tuft or scrape can give the correct flavour and texture of the real thing im up for biopunk sharkfin soup for those who like it and adder in garlic butter for me.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 19 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably better (depending on inputs) than battery farming

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 19 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we think it’ll sit with those with religious sensibilities? Tahir? Artificial pork?

I’m guessing the good books are not equipped to answer that.

It won’t work for vegetarian. What they forget to tell you is that lab cells rely on foetal bovine serum to grow. It’s not quite slaughter free.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_bovine_serum

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 19 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. I don't think I'm the target market for any artificial meat product.

I'm sure that they'll engineer out the need for bovine foetal serum eventually. Got to be at least 10 years from a marketable product, as you know lots of advances in bio chemistry will happen in that time frame

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 19 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who will be the first to grow a snout eating that artificial muck.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 19 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not quite to the stage of no face meat in the shops they do seem to be getting funded so somebody sees that it has potential.

at a guess the tech is similar to growing a chunk of liver or a cornea for replacement medicine so even if it never gets 3 michlin stars it might be where the growing of tissues is perfected.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 19 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful research, but needs a lot more work, as they say, before it will produce anything useable, and also something people will eat. It will probably never produce anything that is really recognisable as meat, just meat flavoured goo which can be shaped to make chunks.

I notice that in a response to a paper written to say why we shouldn't eat meat, a farmer has pointed out that a lot of land that is ideal for pasture is not ideal for arable crops. We had an example of that near us where they ploughed a steep slope and planted it only to discover it was a. hard to crop as so steep, b. it was mainly flints and chalk, so the crops only grew if so much artificial fertilizer was added it was uneconomic. They may well have broken a few tines too. It has now been returned to grazing and the cows and sheep are quite happy.

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 19 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People also seem to forget that if we don't eat species like the Large Black Pig, it will definitely die out as no one will be breeding it.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 19 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is always a problem Shan. It is something that people who advocate not eating or using animal products seem to miss. Who is going to keep animals if there is no economic use for them, and who is going to keep the pasture nice if there are no animals to graze it? Even downland scrubs up quickly if not grazed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive