Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
New Book - The Sustainable Smallholders' Handbook
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 19 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week or so ago, a news presenter admitted for the first time that the GJ's had been infiltrated by extremists, of both the left & the right.
Weeks earlier, a spokesperson for the police authority said that they "recognised" certain known activists...but just let them carry on smashing stuff, presumably to undermine the otherwise peaceful protests; & to influence public opinion away from the GJ's.

Unfortunately, it's escalated & folks are losing patience.
In the last few days, they've started to implicate the GJ's in the rise of road deaths, due to damaged speed cameras...ths is of course, utter bollocks as they stated in the same news report that people were still using their phones whilst driving, & that the certain of the roads were accidents blackspots.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 19 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back on topic....

Id just like to share my first SERIOUS review of my book - by Charles Dowding no less.

“Lorraine’s book has that most valuable ingredient, her own successful experience: she and her partner have mastered many aspects of smallholding. The book explains and interweaves them to help you see what is realistically possible, the skills you need and where this can lead you.”

Im so chuffed I cant tell you.

Buy the book here... https://shop.posthousepublishing.com/The-Sustainable-Smallholders-Handbook

Shan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 19 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Lorraine.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 19 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. BigBarn are publishing excerpts monthly on their website blog. Hopefully will do ok.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 19 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done a good review is always nice but especially so when it leads to sales etc etc .

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 19 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After dithering for a couple of months, Ive now finally got my arse in gear and am writing my second non-fiction book. No title yet, but on how to do rural living in France - a sort of rework of the first book but for English speakers in France. So - an even smaller niche market.

I must start my bonkbuster soon, or Ill be dirt poor.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 19 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
After dithering for a couple of months, Ive now finally got my arse in gear and am writing my second non-fiction book. No title yet, but on how to do rural living in France - a sort of rework of the first book but for English speakers in France. So - an even smaller niche market.

I must start my bonkbuster soon, or Ill be dirt poor.

Is the third one going to be 'Finding a House in the Dordogne if You're Called Lorraine'?

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 19 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 19 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, definately a bonkbuster.

Sort of 50 shades of Grey meets Debbie does Dallas meets The Stud... Ha ha ha.

Honestly, Id be mortified if anyone I knew read anything like this tht I wrote! Id never be able to look my kids in the eye again.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 19 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nom de plume required

if you have control of the promo stuff it can be made to work for as long as needed.

the first character you create is the author, tis an old deceit

you still might need to explain to the family why you are signing 200 first editions though

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 19 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill bear all of that in mind.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 19 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have borrowed from the library the book-The Sustainable Smallholders' Handbook. The library got it in especially!
A really easy to read book, but not a book to read for fun, it is designed to tell you what you must do, and not do, to get on the ladder of smallholding and all I can say is, it was a good read, in language I could understand.
I would have liked to have such a good, down to earth book 50 years ago, when I wanted to have a go; I had the agricultural education, but I couldn't afford it then. Now I have the money, but too much age about me to be considering another enterprise on my patch. I presently do summer horse grazing, firewood and hay. I like to do the hay because it pays back a friend for his and his family's hospitality. The grazing, post hay making goes to a friend who does my washing and feeds me occasionally. The firewood is what keeps me out of trouble as I supply a shop which is my way of relaxing from working at a farm machinery company, who pay me well, but I am getting tired of it now-it gets physically heavier every day, and I am not 21 any more.
Anyway, anyone considering starting, this is essential reading, ideally before you start!

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 19 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great review thanks, and Im really glad you thought it useful.
Who is your library service?
I ask as Ive just had an email from Devon libraries and they have bought a couple of copies and Im doing a talk for them at Totnes in early October.

Could I ask another favour - would you review it on Amazon - I need all the reviews I can get. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sustainable-Smallholders-Handbook-practical-living/dp/1903872332/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2SF2NIAPT73IG&keywords=the+sustainable+smallholders+handbook&qid=1565436254&s=books&sprefix=the+sustainable+Smallholders%2Cstripbooks%2C153&sr=1-1

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 19 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My library is in LLanfyllin, Powys-part of Powys County Library Service. It is generally good for all things; you can get books of course, but also they do all the services the council used to do locally, but now don't. I can pay rates here and so on. They have 8 free public use computers, and 'my girls' taught me all I needed to get me going on a pooter. There are 3 librarians all able to put my mistakes right!

I will have to ask the girls how to do that as I am not that far up to speed. I have asked the girl on now and she says she will do the job in the morning-if I remind her and so if I get out of bed..... should be ok. My review was as I read the book, I would have to buy a copy if I was 40 years younger and was determined to start; it is too far out for me to even think of starting up in earnest at my age. What appealed to me most was that it was a grass roots book written in grass roots language, (there's a pun!); but, very, very important when you want to start, but know nothing of the basic language of what you want to do. I had the advantage of going to 2 agricultural colleges 50 years ago and if I had had the money I would have started then, but things changed as I met a girl and went into the timber trade, making wooden crates, pallets and so on, eventually running a saw mill, divorcing, and moving to a shop and then to my holding-where I should have come to first when I was fit enough to do things!!
I have done the review they say it could be a week before it gets in! I just hope it does the trick!

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 19 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just read your review and thank you so much!

Every one who comments gives me a little feedback. If the book ever gets to a second edition, I will bear all this in mind and change and update things.
Thanks so much for making the effort to review it. xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive