Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
It's all a bit fishy

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 10:10 am    Post subject: It's all a bit fishy Reply with quote

I once wrote a post about moving to Portugal but I'm darned if I can find it now. Did anybody go?

Reason I ask is we're selling up here in France now after fifteen years - it's just got too flipping expensive!

So, with UK being one of the last places on earth I'd want to live, it brings me back to the Portugal question. Where is good to set up home?

I'm getting old now and with five kids in tow we really need somewhere as a permahome option.

But we still want to be as self-sufficient as we can. Which means having a bit of land to grow stuff and keep a few hens (that's chickens to you southerners )

HELP

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where the thread is but Mr Shan and I drift between Portugal and Wales. Our intention being to retire there. As things currently stand, you have the NHR route open to you. If the UK becomes a 3rd country due to Brexit and you do not have Citizenship of one of the soon to be EU 27 members, you would have to consider the Golden Visa route.

In terms of areas, we have a place in the East Algarve in the hills. It's good for growing olives and figs but you'd battle if you wanted to grow veg without a wind break - having said that, I'm fairly stubborn so I'll make it work. The reason we chose the East Algarve is because it tends to be less touristy and gets fairly good weather. The North is lovely but a little too wet for our liking.

Cost of living is fairly low in terms of food and their version of 'council tax'. Cost of electricity is quite high, so you will want to do what you can to reduce your consumption as well as invest in alternative sources of energy.

The Portuguese are very strict about land classification, so before you buy a house, make certain that you know exactly what can and can not be done with the land and make certain there are no 'illegal structures ' on it. Under no circumstances should you use the lawyer suggested by any estate agent. Find someone independent with a good reputation.

If there is anything you'd like to ask, please feel free.

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. It's still early days for us and we should be outa here by June but I intend to have a drive down next month to look at the options. BTW I will be looking further north as I've been there and found it very beautiful.

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The North is absolutely beautiful.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting.

my criteria include
adding value by mending it/adapting it
sufficient resources for mostly off grid living.
broadband , getting easier but could be a problem.
a means to create an income stream

cheap

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adding value by mending it/adapting it: plenty of ruins for sale (we didn't have the time or inclination to manage that level of repair)

sufficient resources for mostly off grid living: you could certainly grow your own food, especially in a well chosen position; we have a borehole for water & plan to add storage for water run off; solar is definitely an energy generating option

broadband , getting easier but could be a problem: we use 4G broadband through NOS

a means to create an income stream: this will depend largely on your skill set but I doubt you'd have a problem.

cheap: ruins are cheap but of course, it's because they're ruins.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s also wind power.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North of Oporto is absolutely gorgeous

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
adding value by mending it/adapting it: plenty of ruins for sale (we didn't have the time or inclination to manage that level of repair)

i have a bad back but i could have time and i do have the skill set

sufficient resources for mostly off grid living
: you could certainly grow your own food, especially in a well chosen position; we have a borehole for water & plan to add storage for water run off; solar is definitely an energy generating option

That sort of thing is fine

broadband , getting easier but could be a problem: we use 4G broadband through NOS

ace

a means to create an income stream: this will depend largely on your skill set but I doubt you'd have a problem.

spose

ruins cost less and are as easy or easier to mend as stealth ruins with " a bit of renovation required ".
in many ways ruins are quite simple as you know you need to do everything and owt that works is a bonus.
those who plan a bit of filler and paint often have nasty surprises

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
There’s also wind power.

Plenty....

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 19 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
Shan wrote:

i have a bad back but i could have time and i do have the skill set

sufficient resources for mostly off grid living
: you could certainly grow your own food, especially in a well chosen position; we have a borehole for water & plan to add storage for water run off; solar is definitely an energy generating option

That sort of thing is fine

ace

spose

ruins cost less and are as easy or easier to mend as stealth ruins with " a bit of renovation required ".
in many ways ruins are quite simple as you know you need to do everything and owt that works is a bonus.
those who plan a bit of filler and paint often have nasty surprises

See you on the other side.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 19 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few good holidays in Portugal, finding it too hot for permanent comfort in the south. I would probably be better further north for permanence. I survive without heat in the winter in the UK, 3 hot water bottles in bed in the winter is enough for me.
The people are good folks in Portugal and plus factor was many had some understanding of English language, not just the tourist guides.
I could happily live there in the south, providing I knew there was a good permanent water supply and a large enough area to feed me, a few hens, a pig or two and a lot of shade!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive