Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Abandoned BitCoin mine...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 19 2:44 pm    Post subject: Abandoned BitCoin mine...  Reply with quote    

I don't know if anybody here is familiar with BitCoin. I don't claim to know a lot, but the relevant point is that they are "Mined" by doing a ridiculous amout of calculating by computer, and because it gets progressively more difficult, the amount of computing power required to get anywhere with it is getting utterly ludicrous (if it wasn't in the first place).

Some years back, a friend bought a "bitcoin mine": some hardware dedicated to the relevant calculations, which is of course now almost completely useless for that task.

However there are very many tasks that require lots of repetitive calculations: cure for cancer, search for extra terrestrial intelligence, big data perversion of democracy, etc. Could such a machine be put to task on any of these projects?

We might argue that to do so would be a waste of electricity, but there are still quite a lot of people who use electricity for heating for quite a lot of the time, and if they are doing that, then why not put the electricity to work on its way to becoming heat?

I had quite a long debate with the mine owner and his friend as to whether a bitcoin mine would be as efficient at heating as an electric heater, but I am pretty sure the law of thermodynamics is on my side in that one...

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 19 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

" : cure for cancer, search for extra terrestrial intelligence, big data perversion of democracy, "

perfect

re the warming thing if it will be a heat source

what to use it for depends on writing or finding what needs running

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 19 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Just on an aside. I use my phone, whilst it is on charge to help CRUK run calculations for research. It's quite a funky app.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 19 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

dpack wrote:
" : cure for cancer, search for extra terrestrial intelligence, big data perversion of democracy, "

perfect

Is what I thought, but the relevant question is of how to get set up on the project.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 19 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

You need an existing project that has migrated to GPU mining, the old ones I know of like SETI were all CPU mining.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive