Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 366, 367, 368 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 19 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moderate bathing, washing up and laundry etc is certainly achievable with wood or solar thermal + a bit of electric

a combo would give winter and summer, wood for heat/ cooking but with a boiler heating a coil in the tank for winter , roof panels to a coil in the tank in summer .

if needs be boost the water temp with a bit of electric

like these

keep it simple is my advice, open systems are fairly safe and reliable for burner powered hot water and are compatible with a panel system

years ago i had 2 winters with a rather odd but strangly practical rig

open fire, back boiler,>coil in hot water cylinder>radiators>pump and back to back boiler.
the heating was an open system with a header tank and the hot water side also had it's own header tank as you would expect
in winter i had to give hot water away but in summer roof panels would have been nice

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 19 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a woodburner which has a water heater in the back, that will do for all your hot water needs. Seems the best solution for you. You should get a proper installer to put it in, which could be expensive, but as long as it is safe, that is the main thing. Perhaps it is time to get your water into the house again.

Our weather was unpredictable yesterday. All right in the morning, but turned wet on and off in the afternoon. The kiln was being really awkward, so not sure if it fired properly or not. Result was that I didn't get the work done that I was wanting to do, so that will have to wait.

Son and some friends got some ash trees down that were affected by chalara. Rot had started in two of the stems, but the other wasn't too bad. The have another one to take down, but that is going to need a winch and a lot of thinking about as otherwise it will come down on a deer fence and good coppice.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 19 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather warm and sunny today, good day, indeed the only thing wrong is I had to go to work!

We made good progress with the drainage system for my lavatory and waste water having found at last the areas each is sited, much further away across the road and to the left, for the sewage and to the right for the cellar drainage These pipes are not just across the road they also cross whilst crossing the road, but it appears they don't mix due to differing depths. During the search we have also found 4 springs just waiting to emerge, and how! My friend who is doing the job with and for me has dug so many pilot holes and trenches we could have a new sewage pathway without too much extra digging-all by hand. His other half is a dowser, but was of little or no use, as she found nothing of importance apart from the first 3 springs and hasn't been on the job since!

My friend, the digging man, is also the man who takes trees down bit by bit in difficult conditions. He has the qualifications and the experience, both critical in relation to my boundary fence, house, garage and wood shed. He climbs with the spiked feet and belt with an electric chainsaw dangling and a few ropes!

Touch wood my ash trees don't seem to be affected by chalara. They grow like weeds here for some reason. They sort of start under the cover of darkness and then seem to be 10 feet high over night! I am viewing some of them as firewood.

Thank you dpack for the heating gen. I am in a hurry today and so will study it tomorrow when there will be less pressure to get home and see how the man is progressing. But the initial glance says there will be something to sate my needs. I am hoping to be able to set up with a wood fired water and central heating system. I have 2 wood burners already but I found they fought each other to get oxygen, even though at opposite ends of the house and with 2 doors closed between them and in theory 2 sources of air, never mind plan B! I am looking for simplicity. Easy to shut down when I go away and won't explode when I do take time off at Christmas.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 19 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing where the waste and drainage goes is useful. How did you manage across the road, or did you just find each end? We have had some success with dowsing, but usually with full pipes, such as the one that crosses our woods and carries a water supply. I also found a wall base at a friends house that I didn't know was there at all, as it had been taken out and floored over.

Could your two fires be arguing about chimney discharge rather than air?

The charcoal firing didn't go well on Wednesday, so husband and son finished it off yesterday. Will see on Monday whether it is any good.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 19 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pipe crosses the road and was put in a long time ago by the previous owner's aunt. He told me it was over the road, but did not know where, and he is now in hospital in a coma where he has been for some years, due to substance abuse-I am told. I found some evidence in the rubbish in the garage, after he left. He, having got hold of some "friends", and having sold the property to me, went onto spending mode; Lwb Showgun Estate, large caravan, and speed boat, later, he and girlfriend went holidaying to Aberdovey and couldn't use the boat there, sailing only then, so off he went to South Wales where you could and stayed till his welcome was out lived and he returned a broken and well high man. Girlfriend had the child too! His claim to fame was his superb tenor voice-and with that he could have made serious money.

The chimney discharges from the 2 fires are at opposite ends of the house so unlikely to be in conflict, but I wouldn't know.

News on the "sceptical" tank is that a man is coming to look who works for a water company, and it appears his job is locating under ground pipes and he knows the man who is doing the job and they have got together and soon they will be on site so I will be here for a short visit today and then make a start on the looking into the pipes with a real location expert, as opposed to me who thought he may be!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 19 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Mottisfont yesterday as the roses are in full flower. They have redone what they call the 'vegetable garden' which is part veg and part ornamental, and have now started to get roses climbing on the chestnut pergola a fellow coppice worker built last winter. They also have 'step over' trained apples in the beds next to the pergola with some assorted other plants. Think it is going to look lovely in a year or twos time when the roses are really climbing on it.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 19 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1960s the local cycling clubs used to go to Mottisfont Post Office for tea on the Sunday clubruns. They opened especially for this, the menu was always the same...boiled eggs ,buttered bread and tea. The clubrun captain had to phone in the morning to say how many were coming and what time.

Good to hear that the gardens are going well.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 19 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have done a lot of work there. There is a new visitor centre, which isn't awfully good imo. There are 3 cubicles in the ladies loo, when there needs to be at least 6 and there is a lot of wasted space that could be far better utilised. I have already told them their architect needs shooting re the ladies loo. The rose garden is better than ever and they have recently redone a 'vegetable garden' which includes a pergola made of chestnut by one of our coppice group members. I have written an article about it in our coppice group newsletter. There is more of the house open, including the maids rooms and there are now 2 restaurants and a kiosk open for food, so no need for an erratic Post Office tea room now.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 19 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local council are having fun with the computers again, and are getting worried about people who are going onto sites like downsizer, in case we are trying to corrupt the Welsh nation, so I went to another computer and it worked ok, so it must be my regular computer and me having a spat. Also it is eating my text as I forge ahead after I have made an insert of text. It is almost fun!

Standing "in line" for a loo is a pastime in the UK, run by the local councils to see how long the queue can get. I think there is a national competition and prize of more money to attract even more visitors! I should ask where Mottisford is-sounds very Dorset to me.

Next thing to happen is that I am making plans to retire. My forgetfulness is starting to annoy me at work and doubtless others. If there is only me to be affected by forgetting then there won't be any repercussions by others towards me.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 19 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case it is the National Trust Gregotyn. Mottisfont is in Hampshire, but there is a gradual change of accent, idiom and place name types from Devon through Dorset to Hampshire. An older Hampshire countryman of our acquaintance uses the term 'where's that to?' meaning 'where is it?', which is also a Devon terminology. The name Mottisfont is from the Saxon as the 'font' is a spring where the 'moot' met to discuss local problems and dispense justice.

Have you spoken to the doctor or nurse about your memory problems? Although it can't be cured, it might be possible to help you by various coping strategies, which they might know about.

Yesterday was quite a productive day. Husband and son emptied the charcoal kiln and bagged up some charcoal, although that was somewhat interrupted when the stapler fell apart and husband lost a vital part down the holes in the decking. Temporary repair with a screw and washer enough to finish immediate order and as a screw or something has failed in it, husband has ordered a new one. I finished off an order for besoms by making 3 small heads and debarking the handles for the large besoms.

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 19 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard youngsters in Dorset say "Where's that to" for "Where is it" so the dialect survives.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 19 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son uses it, mainly because he likes it I think, but at least it is keeping a small part of dialect alive. He was also at college with a number of people from various country districts in the county who still use dialect terms, so picked up a few.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 19 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornwall has the same type with "Where's 'e to? or that to?". And similar in Wales where I am, with "Where's 'e at?" I find dialect fascinating, and am able to pick them up after a while. I can convince folks I speak Welsh but not for long!

I was thinking about the doctor's for appointment regarding memory loss, as a chap at work suggested it, as a way to keep working. He didn't understand for while and was well on my back when I kept forgetting, but now seems to make allowances, but wants me to get help, positive thinking. I need to doctors' anyway as I have a blotch appeared on my arm

Only one more day to the weekend and then 2 days of trying to find the pipe which crosses the road, to my sewerage disposal area. There is a blockage and finding the place to start rodding is proving difficult, I have even used a dowser, who couldn't find the outlet either. It is not as straight forward as I or my man thought it would be, but we are pressing on as fast as we can. The bend at the roadside is 3 feet deep and won't allow the rods to get in and turn the 90 degree corner. So I am digging the other side of the road but have failed to be able to locate the end of pipe, let alone rod towards the house side of the road.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 19 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with finding it Gregotyn. You may need to dig a trench along the other side of the road, but it sounds as if it is rather deep, so could take a while. I assume it does cross the road and not go along under it?

Had MILs funeral yesterday at the 'new' crematorium that has been built about 3 years now. It is by some woods where someone we know cuts chestnut coppice, and at one stage a greater spotted woodpecker came and fed on the feeder outside the window.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 19 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences regarding your MIL. I hope all went as well as it could at the Crematorium. I have specified cremation for me, but no ceremony, I just want to go!

We think the pipe crosses the road where our latest test dig has finished opposite to the downpipe, confirmation will take place later today, I hope. I guess you can imagine that all things I have that will cross are suitably in position, buckets of water and I have bought some non-toxic water dye-a brighter shade of luminous green the salesman said, to think about a tracer run from my side of the road. If all fails I will go out and buy a digger, dig the trenches down my own ground, and put in one of those mini treatment plants. A neighbour has one which works well, just costs to empty it annually around £300; a small price to pay to be sure and safe, and it empties straight into a ditch 10 yards from the house as clean water. The area of the influence of pipe crossing the road is a huge patch of nettles, which we have demolished in parts to see where/how 'it' flows.

Currently the pipe has occupied my time at the expense of kindling production, so today will be, I hope, sufficient to allow me to get on with kindling. Knowing how much I am behind, is a bit worrying. I need about 300 nets at this time of the year +/- a few, so as not to have to chop when it gets too cold, and I am a fair bit short of that figure. about 150ish. I will be glad when all this is over and I retire from work-not sure when, as this job needs paying for first! then the hot water situation needs to be addressed! My place is a never ending project where only the occupant of the moment is in theoretical charge!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 366, 367, 368 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 367 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive