Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What I do on Mondays!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 19 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:
I would say pyramid. They are quite common round here and we have a good selection in the grass verge in the opposite side of the road. This year, thank goodness, the grass mowing monkeys have only cut the front of the verge, so the orchids are happily growing at the back. We have occasionally had them in our lawn, but a few years as a hay field has rather upset them.

I think the shape of the petals (tepals) is wrong for Pyramidal Orchid, and also their petals tend to be unmarked.

As soon as I can get hold of my orchid book, I may be able to give a more reasoned opinion - I'm a bit slow at present having suffered from a Porsche Cayenne destroying our poor little Honda Jazz last week.

Henry

edited to correct car variety

Also, Boswell Park, Ayr is outside the recorded range of Pyramidal Orchid

Henry

buzzy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 19 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hares Foot Inkcap with the cute and fluffy stage at the right

Henry

gz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 19 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting!

and yes,the fungi started as a white cap..I think there is one above right in one of the pictures

gz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 19 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no,not the Hare's cap...but that one can be described as cute!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 19 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never seen the Hare's Cap. Odd one.

I was going on the shape of the flower Buzzy. Pyramid orchids tend to make a more distinct pyramid shape than other orchids, but if you find it is something else, I will be happy to go with your ID.

gz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 19 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how the right conditions have brought out lots of this butterfly on Hannahston Reserve.
I've just looked at the Butterfly and Moths book...there are an awful lot of brown ones!

buzzy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 19 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the Ringlet - lots of them about now.

Henry

buzzy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 19 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Have never seen the Hare's Cap. Odd one.

I was going on the shape of the flower Buzzy. Pyramid orchids tend to make a more distinct pyramid shape than other orchids, but if you find it is something else, I will be happy to go with your ID.

Several of the orchids begin with pyramidal flower spikes that gradually become more or less cylindrical, including Spotted Orchids and Pyramidal! The give away, though is the petal colour - should be unmarked rose pink in Pyramidal.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 19 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have seen a lot of dark brown ones lately, but not close, so could be ringlets. We also have either meadow browns or gatekeepers; again haven't seen them close enough to be sure, and also silver washed fritillaries. Seems to be butterfly season now.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 19 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to get a clearer picture, but the tablet insists on focusing anywhere but

buzzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 19 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm back!

After an enforced two month absence courtesy careless Porsche Cayenne driver who rear ended our poor little car, my ribs have recovered sufficiently for me to resume Monday walks.

We went round a mainly riverside site today - saw a Grey Wagtail, quite a lot of fish of various sizes that remained unidentified as our fish expert was absent, several Banded Damselflies and a few galls on various trees. It was a very pleasant walk - so nice to get out again

About the only thing I photographed was this:

American Pokeweed (Phytolacca americana) escaping under a fence into a public footpath. Highly toxic, and having a sinister resemblance in some ways to ripe blackberries when fruiting.

I hope to resume regular posting now.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 19 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, doesn't it. The fruit is a bit ordered for blackberry, and the leaves are different, but it is close enough that until you said it was something else, I thought it a rather odd blackberry.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 19 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you have recovered Buzzy and able to get back out.

Good photo. It looks very blackberryish. I wonder why it's like that? Out to kill humans maybe?

buzzy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 19 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Monday had a trip to the Brecks. Lovely sunny day and had excellent views of a Woodlark - apparently they usually skulk about on the ground, almost invisible, but this one sat on a wire and sang to us!

Our target species was Stone Curlew. We found several, but all quite a way from the track, and my camera is not really uo to that sort of task. However...…

There are at least three in this shot - the pale blobs are them. Being largely nocturnal they just mooch around most of the day.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 19 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, not a very clear picture, but at least you got a picture. Great to see the birds, and nice that the woodlark performed for you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55
Page 55 of 55
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive