Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Water butt water pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 19 9:54 am    Post subject: Water butt water pressure Reply with quote

In March we went on a water meter as the kids have left home and we did the calculations which should reduce our bill by £300 per year. We have 2x 220 ltr butts feeding of the halls greenhouse using their gutter kit , we also have a very large blue ex chemical barrel around 250 ltrs which is half way down the garden. I ran 14 ft of guttering along my pent roof shed and then a 2" takeoff to 1.25" corrugated plastic Koi carp tube which I ran through the garden 100 ft to the blue water butt then up the butt and into the top. The difference in height from the 2" gutter take off to the top of the butt is less than 2 feet over the 100 foot but the pipe has filled with water and as soon as it rains it starts to fill the butt. Touch wood we have not had to use any mains water to water the garden all year. I was just a little surprised that the little difference in height moved the water.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 19 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some aqueducts and canals have less than 2' per mile.

with gravity shifted water the size of pipe is the main limiting factor

small pipe has a high surface to volume ratio and so has more "drag" to impede flow.

choosing large bore pipe was wise

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 19 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reduction in pipe size has also increased the water pressure.

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 19 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

That's some engineering pre laser

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 19 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the old aqueducts were amazing feats of engineering. I don't think we give enough credit to older and ancient technology and the skill in the design and build.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 19 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derbyshiredowser wrote:
dpack wrote:

That's some engineering pre laser

plumblines and a few sticks can be used to make ace survey tools, very accurate levels can be set using water in a tube (i have not seen evidence for using intestine as a tube but it would work) or with a trough for setting a survey groma or short length of construction

modern kit makes things faster and needs less manpower but the old style can match modern for accuracy
string still has a major role in construction to make long strait lines and often with numbers on it to make the line just so long and called a tape measure , a plumbline and a tube of liquid on a stick are in many tool bags etc etc

i would offer up early henges as evidence of neolithic use of string to survey, in that example an accurate circle .
i still dont know a better way to draw a big circle than a peg, a string and a marking instrument.
string is pretty good at ensuring lines are strait, planes are flat and verticals are vertical in one go.

add a grasp of geometry/maths to make good use of sticks and string and the technology can build an aqueduct,pyramid or cathedral

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 19 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. I am having awful trouble marking a circle on my rug canvas though.

With enough people and enough time it is possible to build most things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive