Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Renting Farmland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 19 9:37 am    Post subject: Renting Farmland Reply with quote

My dad has rented 3 fields out to a neighbour for a few years. I have always felt that he rented it out ‘cheap’ to them, his excuse being that the neighbour had always been very good to him etc etc. In actual fact, the neighbour’s grandson pays the rent and puts his own stock on the land.

The grandson has mentioned to me that the one field needs a ton or two of lime on it. He appears to believe that Dad should pay for it. I have no idea what has happened in the past and Dad’s memory is terrible now (he’s in his 90’s) and he doesn’t know whether he or the neighbour used to pay to put fertiliser / lime down (neighbour has now passed away so can’t ask him).

I’m just wondering what usually happens with rented ground. Dad already pays for the hedges to be cut. The grandson mentioned topping the field earlier this year and was then of the expectation that Dad would pay… however, as it turned out the field didn’t need topping. So… does the renter only need to pay rent and then the landowner pays for upkeep of the land as in topping/fertilising etc or is that up to the renter to sort out?

Any advice gratefully received !

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 19 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there was an agreement made[written] that your Father maintains the land or he`s getting a damn good rent per acre,

Sounds more like taking the p--s.

But all area`s have different ways of doing things down over the years,i`d suggest to ask a local farmer you know how renting agreements work in your area.

Every time I`ve rented land I`ve had to maintain it as it was,or in most cases improve it.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 19 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Ty

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 19 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual around here is that the renter pays for amendments that will benefit their production. We don't have hedges.

Land is still relatively cheap and underutilized in this area. There are some lucky livestock farmers that have neighbors that will pay for amendments to keep hay production worthwhile enough for the farmer to keep haying a beloved piece of ground that they remember always being hayed. Much, much more common is a "you can keep the bedding hay if you keep the field open with a couple mowings” type agreement. As the land becomes more valuable where there are bigger populations, agreements vary drastically. Personally, if I were putting a lot of investment into a piece of a land, the rent would reflect that....

All that said, what happens if you don't lime it? Will they? Worst case scenario is that the species start getting weedier as soon goes acidic, then you get a real mess by the time they leave. Just find an arrangement that works for you.

Don't forget to value the nutrients they're taking off your ground

Marionb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 19 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice... I have spoken to a neighbour on the other side and he has been very helpful too

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 19 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to improve the land, for the tenant, then the tenant should have to pay more rent! It is in his interests to maintain/improve the tenanted land for his use, provided he has security of tenure.
If it is an annual tenancy then it is down to you to do the ground maintenance-fertiliser, harrowing, rolling etc., in case he gives the tenancy up; but if it is a long term tenancy then it is his responsibility, as he will want to maintain/improve the output and therefore the fertility of the ground. Well that is how I would term such a tenancy agreements.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive