About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bloody Fox
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 19 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ones on my chooks got sorted very quickly once the pheasant losses were shown to mr pheasant

Shan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 19 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he's shot 60 foxes so far this year. Shot one on Friday in the pheasant pen.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 19 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that is infestation , maybe the latest one is your one, hope so.

unless they have a huge area they shoot that is quite a dense population even after the cubs grow up and leave home and get noticed.
at least 20 breeding females within their free fire zone or plenty just outside it whose cubs look for a territory.

imho a few are a good thing as they are ace undertakers and bunny cullers but more than a few get hungry and take risks with domestic stock.

i previously mentioned i can be on either side of the fox issue depending on circumstance and reasons, perhaps know a little of their ways and have been known to squat their premises for my own purposes

your ones need high velocity attention.

Shan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 19 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does cover quite a wide area and bear in mind that there are several pheasant 'sanctuary' areas plus Breeding pens surrounding us. By the end of the season, he will have shot at least another 80. He also suspects that there are 'town foxes' being dumped out here by well meaning individuals.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 19 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

displaced urban would be both a problem and easy targets.

Shan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 19 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, Mollie laid an egg today with a nice healthy hard shell.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 19 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a good sign that the injuries were limited to a few flesh wounds and that she is not in a decline.

fingers and hooves crossed the only permanent thing will be raised awareness of danger and a hatred of foxes.

grannie had a few survivors over her chook keeping career that were good accidental guard chickens, not usually the flock leader, that were hyper aware of danger and warned others by their panic.

she also made her own dumdums (from FMJ rounds) for the mk4 lee enfield if the fencing was being undermined or climbed (even with the electric on one gave it a go:roll:)
very effective even it needed a bucket and shovel to tidy up

it was quite rare a fox became a problem and even then they soon were not a problem.

Shan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 19 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had quite a fierce grannie. Unfortunately, I have nothing suitable for fox shooting so have to rely on the gamekeeper. He does tend to take notice.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 19 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the surface very "normal" if needs be but underneath very competent and wise in many ways.

her biography and cv is a bit unusual

b1889
1903 responsible for her 12 younger siblings as her mum croaked a week after the last baby was born.
with the help of her gran(refugee survivor of the great famine, another good biog.)raised all of them to adulthood and ran a smallholding while dad went out engineering.
1914 to 1919 volunteer nurse, gulp. she got very good at mangled and gassed.
she gained huge respect from the doctor community and had a life long working relationship with one of em(see below)
early 1920's nurse and phisio to FA cup winners+free based on need and paid community nurse(pre nhs etc), married an engineer who was a bisley champ with full bore, 2 kids , posh house (see fa cup and paid)
her 2 kids , my dad and aunty have a few interesting bits on their cvs.

ww2 is a huge chapter, a fun extract is she had two tame italians for a couple of years who liked being peasant smallholder staff on the land behind her rather nice footie derived house.

widow and grannie late '50's

by the time i was 5 i knew the names and uses of several hundred plants and i could have a snack, mend a broken bone or cure a green wound with them, tend an allotment or wrangle chickens was normal. by 7 i could make black powder and gloss paint to pro standards

yep she was a bit unusual

loads missing but it gives an idea of the sort of short stocky lady who might be on the roof of a henhouse with a mk4.

Shan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 19 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her life would make a very interesting book!

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 19 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that Molly is okay Shan.

Gangsta granny Dpack? What is a dumdum?

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 19 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, she's doing well. She's such a sweetie, it would be awful to lose her.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 19 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Glad that Molly is okay Shan.

Gangsta granny Dpack? What is a dumdum?

not gangsta, quiet, very practical and very gentle in many ways

ps a dumdum . take a knife to a bullet, cut off tip, make crossed grooves on flat end.
they split open on contact (even with soft tissue)and deliver all the energy in bits, messy, not popular with soldiers cos a go home with a medal wound becomes a probably dead or crippled for life wound.

the old fashioned /improvised version of the frangible rounds used for deer hunting and by some law enforcement agencies for both stopping power and reduced through shots/bounces

ideal for a kind and safe foxkill at close range
(accuracy is an issue with improvised ones)

iirc they are banned for warfare but it hardly matters as modern high velocity rounds have pretty messy terminal balistics with both shockwave and tumbling effects in soft tissues and they make bone into ballistic fragments
if you must get shot make it below knee or elbow:wink:

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 19 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound lethal DPack but for taking foxes out, better a one kill scenario than a wounded and suffering fox.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 19 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, far better than a tidy hole in and out with the added fun of a bounce off a stone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive