Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 394, 395, 396 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 20 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably true, but trees the size Gregotyn is talking about would be better converted to larger items imo. Smaller trees could be used for smaller things. One thing that really annoys me is large trees being converted to wood chip as branch wood and small thinnings would do just as well, and give a market for this stuff which is often 'waste'.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 20 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we see often here and in Scotland is the good big wood taken and loads of useful material left.
I know some must help prevent erosion before the next crop grows big enough...

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 20 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficulty is collecting and using what is usually called 'brash'. We use rather more of it, but some is always too small, too contorted or otherwise unusable. Our problem is the tops of the hazel. As we are mainly cutting severely overstood stuff, the tops are all shapes; I had one that closely resembled an umbrella frame last year. It can't be used for pea sticks as it is an awful shape, so has to be disposed of.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 20 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the beech for handles they could have taken many handles off the trimmed sides and left the rest for furniture and so on. It really was beautiful timber. Could the hazel have been made into a sunshade, MR? If possible, it would have been worth a few bob as it would have been unique and an opening perhaps? You could have a removable base and kept the top in shape with a preservative. A lot of work, and for those who have to better their friends, a serious talking and "jealousy" feature! A lot of development work.

It is often the same at my work place. I pick things out of the rubbish bins all the time, nuts, bolts and washers every day, but try buying a 10 inch by 5/8th bolt, washer and nut-they are well over a pound each set! They are also good at wasting time. No-one in the work shop starts till the first hour has gone by Then the 10 minute break at 10am is always half an hour-lunch 1-2 and on the way home at 5.30 so 2.5 hours break in 9 hours attendance.

I have to change my will to include another small junior on his/her way. But there are other alterations to be made too, and I also have to arrange a friend with power of attorney, which would avoid a solicitor getting expensively involved and taking my money to administer my life at the end; morbid, perhaps, but has to be done. I have just woken up to the fact that I am not going to live forever!

Ref the firewood. I will be buying their wood in nets so that if their nets are bigger than mine, I will re-net them. Their current outlet price is £2 wholesale and as long as there is more wood in them, I can reduce that to my nets and get the same money as now or even put the price up a bit-I need a couple of samples.

Pleased for Cassandra that she is settling down after her loss, I remember him arriving!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 20 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly that bit of top was too bad even for a sun shade and no way of getting it to close.

Getting small quantities of things like nuts and bolts is expensive, so any odd ones you can pick out the waste, assuming they are in good condition, is worthwhile.

We spent a happy day in the sun yesterday cutting, extracting then bundling birch. Son cut it with a chain saw, then he and I cut the bits off and heaped them and then all 3 of us carried it down to the van. Husband spent the first part of the day restacking some rods left by the people that are cutting the hazel that had fallen down and were in our way. Got quite a lot of bundles, but it was getting quite cold at the end of the day as the sun was going down and we were among the trees again. The night started with a frost, but it is now misty, so unless the mist lifts, probably going to be colder feeling today.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 20 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No frost this morning as I thought it would be here either, MR. So I was pleased, as, at 5am I don't like going round and spraying de-icer, I just want to get going! I have everything in place the night before. We have had 1 or 2 heavy frosts already, but it is January.

Regarding the pre-packed kindling, I have to approach the lads who are doing the job first. I will point out that they will get the job as soon as I decide to retire-well I'm only 72 plenty left in me yet! is that positive enough to try to get someone else to do the hard work! Time to go as the buses are reving up in the school and I don't want to be caught behind them down the lanes!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 20 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could well be positive enough Gregotyn. A number of our coppice workers are in their 80s and still going strong with a 'strong lad' usually in his 50s or 60s to do the heavy work.

We had a productive day yesterday; I made a small besom for an order and we filled 35 log sacks for delivery today. Husband and son managed 10 while I was doing the besom, and we did the remaining 25 between us. They had to go off and cut some more wood, so I did some of them on my own, but they got done anyway.

Found that the bluebell leaves are coming up everywhere now in spite of the colder weather.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 20 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't see bluebell leaves appear for at least a month, up here. I have a productive morning tomorrow; I have to go and fetch 12 pallets for firewood from my friend in Bridgnorth. a welcome boost to the stock. I am hand to mouth this season. But would rather be chopping! we will survive. So I won't be about in the morning. My hope is that it will be dry.

I am planning on giving up work soon, but the pay cheque arrived and I've have a pay rise. I think it is time I went. Just get over early spring and go when the summer work at home starts. Time I did a few refurbishments-"read" a lot of them!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 20 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you are a lot later than us. Ours can vary by up to a month, and it seems to be no indicator of when the bluebells will be out anyway.

I think I will believe you are retired when you actually leave Gregotyn, and not before.

Yesterday I helped at food bank and we had 21 parcels, including some quite big ones to do. That is a record and we didn't stop for the whole of our 2 hours. Last week was quiet, but we have been averaging about 15 a week since the new year. Not at all good. If I remember rightly we dispensed about 2300 individual parcels last year, some people having several over a period of time of course, which is rising year on year. Add that for a small local food bank, times however many independent ones there are to the Trussel Trust figures, and it is very worrying.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 20 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be surprised that I intend to leave paid employ fairly soon, and chop more wood! I had a run in today with my boss so it will be curtains soon. I have grown to hate it in some ways, but I like getting up early and getting on with it. When I am at home on Saturdays I have trouble getting up in time to get to the library for 9am. In the week I am on my way by 5am. Always there before 6am and then go back to Tesco's for my break snack! I just find the time alone there much better than being pestered by various folks.

We had a row about the lack of delivery notes from an oil company and I have to deal with it by using our order to check it off rather than 'sent notes'. And there are 2 pallets of hydraulic oil not sent. So I will be getting in touch soon in the mornings-rather than pm after work-the plan being to leave! I will miss the money, but not the personnel. It doubles my pension and I need a new vehicle. The consolation is that the boss boy owes me a few thousand from when he wanted me to go into buying and selling tractors, which we started, but when I wanted to go to help him do them up for sale he told me that he had told his father that I was his customer not his partner, so it would not be possible to go to help. Panic, but when the job came my way I knew I would get him when I came to leave anyway, but have had at least 10 years working when I thought I was going to be scratching a living on my small holding. I can live on my pension, which although not much is enough but will have to save for the rates which are massive to the point the property is not worth while doing up. The rates have gone up £200 per year for the last 3 years, which would be more, but for the single person allowance clawing a bit back! I was going to apply for an oap bungalow, but wouldn't cope with neighbours on top of me. We'll see!

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 20 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read that again, retire is just a word mate.
from what you have shared recently you know what would make you happier and "retirement" seems more like new and ongoing projects than daytime telly and slippers.
you have lots you want to do, go for it.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 20 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your boss sounds like a bit of a twister. I wouldn't count on getting that money I am afraid, unless you have the loan in writing and are willing to sue him for it if necessary. See how you feel about things in a week or two, which seems to be the way you do things anyway.

We spent the morning yesterday clearing some wooden tent poles from our store. We had been storing them for our coppice group, but we really need the room now. Looking at them, half are rotten, so we took the wooden couplings off the rotten ones and the chestnut ones will be converted to charcoal and the softwood ones will be used to fuel the kiln. I live in hopes of another pallet or two for birch and enough birch to fill them before the end of the season, but it is fast approaching. Managed to cut some besom handles from the hazel coppice this afternoon anyway. The lads who are cutting further up in the wood took a chainsaw to it yesterday, and are taking what they want, which is mainly stakes and binders for hedge laying. The handles aren't the size they want, and I can take the shorter thin stuff for the baskets, so we should be able to both get some product. There is plenty of charcoal wood there too, so quite productive.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 20 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of things in my favour, MR. regarding the boss boy's attitude, I watched him on camera one Christmas going round the shop filling his "box" with things he wanted on the camera. The then boss lad looked for what he had booked out for his next personal account charge and guess what, none of it was there for the next 2 months ie Jan /Feb-got him there I suspect. At least 10 years ago, but I guess the big white chief would still like to know. He also left with me a freshly done up machine and several things to go round the local farmers to sell; I kept this "stuff" in case! Looks like it may be an idea to bring it up now-if there are any developments.

Going back to the last post I find the rate rises are inversely proportionate to the productivity of the individual personnel in the council. The most useful of them are good-due to the extra overtime- the gritting drivers, who had done the hill outside my house by 5am, guess it is overtime!! It is the men in the tip who make the money as they sell "stuff" of any value-then again so would I, I suppose if in that situation. I certainly don't 'borrow' from work as we have the bonus of being allowed to buy at cost, so why abuse the status quo?

Reading through your post, MR, I always wanted to lay a hedge and then add binders, but no-one ever asked me to do that and I wanted the experience. I guess I will have to try at home.

Retire is but a word, dpack, but it is the income coming in every month from work that doubles my pension. Now I don't spend all of it by a long way, but I do have friends with children who need more than they are getting, so I help out and so on as one does. I parted with £200 each last time. I will have to point out soon that I haven't got the income any more. I have been a saver all my life; I even remember at 8 yo. my brother was trying to get me to part with some money for mother's Christmas present. Dear old David, (me), was not budging from-"I will provide 6pence and that was it"! I used to save 6 pence pieces and carry them round the table on an old Dinky toy 8-wheel Foden lorry. I also used to sell the manure from the bread and milk carts' horses, by the bucket-2.5 new pence.
In practise I will be doing much more at home-I need a massive tidy-up, and will no doubt find something to farm gate sell, I will be looking for mistletoe, holly and logs from home, and keep the kindling going. I have always been a saver, but guess if I find a partner at some stage, we would probably tour the world! I have found someone I like, but she is not aware of my thinking she is lovely! I will be going to Australia for a month or so to visit my old school friend, who came to see me last summer in Ironbridge where we stayed for 3 nights. I will be going there in their winter, as I will not want to miss the kindling sales here and don't like hot weather!
PS I don't have a telly!--Now if I did then I would be glued to 1, Cricket, 2, Hockey, 3, Rugby and 4, Football, in that order. I have been known to watch snooker as well.
I don't have a telephone either!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 20 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV is your choice, but as you are getting a little more mature, a phone might be a good idea. If you are ever in a position where you can't walk or drive to the nearest neighbour, a phone can be a lifeline. Mobiles are quite good, if you have reception where you are, and you can get pay as you go, but you have to use them about every 3 months otherwise they give up. I have that as I only really use mine for finding husband and son in the woods, and other odd calls.

Useful to have a few things on your boss, as he seems a bit of a twister.

We are having a bit of trouble with the weather at the moment, as a cloud seems to have settled over us and the humidity, being at 100% and sometimes plus, is gently, falling out of the sky on us as drizzle and rain. Can't see too far either, and people are still driving around without lights.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 20 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A different day at work today, almost pleasant! However, it is the weekend and that is when my desk and "stuff" are adjusted by the morons who are old enough to know better, but it brings the money in. I was about to depart when a man asked me to deliver some items for them, and another lot to deliver to a friend; all good for more custom when it comes to the door the day they want it as they spread the word.
The top boy boss is as bent as a £9 note.
I agree with you that a phone would be a good idea. I had at one point a mobile "brick" which I could manage, when I was staying at the farm up the road it worked as well, but only outside leaning on the barn gate. After I bought my house I could only get a signal leaning on the drive gate post or up the field to the top fields where I got a signal at that dividing gate. I think I may have to invest in a land line and old style "comfortable" telephone. There is one attached to the house but whether it works is another story.

It is a good job that I don't have a TV as that is where I would waste so much time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 394, 395, 396 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 395 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive