Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Plants and Cut flower selling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 20 11:05 am    Post subject: Plants and Cut flower selling Reply with quote

My better half and I are looking at starting a small plant cut flower business trying to be as green and cost effective as possible, it will be seasonable but we are trying to think outside the box with regard to plant pots and obviously carrier bags if we were at car boot/plant fair etc.

We don't at the moment want to go down the route of buying biodegradable pots at the moment - does anyone have any ideas they might wish to share?

Cut flowers are easier as they can be in a bucket which is just replenished which is what we did last year.

Thanks
L

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 20 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

over xmas we were given a flowering plant, the sort that is over when it is over, in a soft pack.

iirc it was grown in a cube which and wrapped in fancy plastic for sale/display.

perhaps adapting that to soil in a net and wax paper would be a green version?

for keeper plants they can pot it on once it settles in at home? most folk with plants have spare pots. so an onsite recycle and green production/delivery.

lorrayne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 20 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea thank you. L

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 20 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although they might be of all sizes, another way is to recycle pots in conjunction with Dpacks idea. One of the free recycling web sites is likely to yield lots of odd pots from gardeners. I know we have loads. If you are not too far from us, I would be willing to donate some to you.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 20 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit of a wood worker, and in the past have used pallets as plant holders. By breaking up the pallets and then de-nailing them you get a series of strips of wood. Reconstructing them into small squares by sawing halfway down at say 4-6 inch centres, with 2 saw cuts the width of the wood you get a slot, having knocked out the depth you have sawn to. You can now make up trays to grow the plants individually in by slotting the wood together. All you need is a base and a surround, of plywood for example. I assume you are going to sell plants as well as cut flowers? If you need depth of more than the pallet board wideth the make the holder up with 2 pallet boards deep and get 8 to10 inches deep plant growing "holes". I did this on a small scale to grow vegetable seedlings many years ago. I liked the tray growing method as it lets you pick up a tray of say 20 plants to plant a row. The most important part is to find as clean pallets as you can, not oily anyway!

Shan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 20 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you perhaps mould your own pots from waste paper and cardboard?

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 20 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregotyn's wood version seems ideal for things that need to stay in that container for a year or two before or after sale. patio trees and such like

for basic houseplants or annuals using cubes to grow and bulk transport them in trays
then "green" wrapping them to take home for to re potting into ones own pot for that plant or ready for planting out makes sense
i like plants, i do not like waste, i would be very happy not to have to get rid of unnecessary plastic pots if my plant gets home undamaged:wink:

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 20 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used a similar idea to Gregotyns for planters. They work well but of course are not waterproof, so either need lining, or warning with them that they will let water out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive