Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ground cover

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 20 12:05 pm    Post subject: Ground cover Reply with quote

I am wondering when I should remove the white fleece ground cover that has been over the onions and garlic since they were planted in the autumn?
I also have sown the broad beans through the lightweight black ground cover and am thinking of leaving that as a weed suppressant.
Any ideas?

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 20 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once my broad beans are up to about a foot tall, if i have any space for them, get hoed, earthed up by a few inches and then i plant salads, radish and often poppy(bees make beans)along the freshly turned soil at the base of the beans.

tis a good use of space, deals with weeds and the beans fix more nitrogen than they need

ps when the beans are over snip em at soil level, the node things on the roots will continue fixing nitrogen until winter

gz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 20 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a good idea, space is at a premium, so edible ground cover is brilliant

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 20 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthing up often avoids sticks n string which all but the dwarf varieties seem to need if it is a windy place.

re the bee thing they usually play nicely and go in from the end of the flower but some bite a hole in the side to get the nectar without pollinating
if you spot small holes at the base of the flowers tis worth brush pollinating those ones

gz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 20 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forewarned is forearmed!

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 20 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 20 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think removal of fleece depends on the weather. We should be through the coldest part of the winter now, although more frosts are almost certain, but then I am in the sunny south. Hasn't been so sunny this winter though.

Like the idea of the salading under the beans. I might try that with some crops.

We sometimes get bees bite the backs of runner beans, especially early on. Perhaps the nectar is a bit denser then or they are just lazy.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 20 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do that with anything you've planted, as long as they grow tall enough the let sunlight through to the inbetweeners?

gz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 20 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost on the ground this morning 😕 well we are in Scotland

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 20 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Can you do that with anything you've planted, as long as they grow tall enough the let sunlight through to the inbetweeners?

quite often yep.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 20 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have frost here, and we are in the south of England. After wind and rain yesterday, it must have cleared over in the night. Can't say we don't have interest in our weather; nearly as variable as Tasmania!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive