Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
spray for cleaning door handles etc

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 20 12:32 pm    Post subject: spray for cleaning door handles etc Reply with quote

to my surprise, a dig around under the sink unearth desanitising spray which I am using, but what would be ideal to throw together at home?

I was thinking if soap kills the nasty, would bunging some soap scraps and water in a spray bottle make an adequate virus busting spray?

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 20 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soap and water remove

chlorine based bleach deactivates
strong alcohol deactivates if you keep it wet a while.

the sort of sterilisers used in a meat room or other well run food prep places might work, they will kill or disable quite a range of stuff.

lyesol is a fair bet for disable as is jeyes fluid

heat is a fair bet so a steam cleaner used to avoid splashing might help

there are other things that disable virii but many are rather too nasty to use outside a cat 4 virus lab

Jb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 20 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soap is the basic weapon against many virii. Many of them have lipid membranes so soap destroys that. Hand gels, alcohols sprays etc. are probably popular because they seem more medical. In practice sprays and gels are an alternative when soap and water are not so easily available. Sprays _might_ deal with surface contamination but to be honest a scrubbing brush and soapy water probably achieve more.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 20 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks jb I will tell the girls about the lipid membrane

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 20 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main source of contamination is going to be touching handles etc. that other people have touched, so washing your hands as soon as possible is best. When you enter your house, the first thing should be to wash your hands with soap and water immediately, ideally before touching anything else, although that is not always possible. Perhaps leave a bathroom or room to another room with a sink open so you don't touch internal door handles.

Out and about it is more difficult, as it is if the public come into your premises, but regular going over with soap and water, bleach, Jeyes fluid or sanitiser will minimise risk.

Another thing we are told, but is very difficult, is not touching your face when you may have been in contact with potentially contaminated surfaces.

Something several small shops round here are practising is to have a counter outside of just inside the shop and strict spacing of the queue, then one person served at a time not going into the shop, so only staff handle products, door handles, freezers etc. One is even sanitising money going in and out, and another using card only, contactless if you ask.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 20 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:
Soap is the basic weapon against many virii. Many of them have lipid membranes so soap destroys that. Hand gels, alcohols sprays etc. are probably popular because they seem more medical. In practice sprays and gels are an alternative when soap and water are not so easily available. Sprays _might_ deal with surface contamination but to be honest a scrubbing brush and soapy water probably achieve more.

yes this is why I was wondering about making a soapy spray. We are obviously washing our hands constantly, and following the other advice. And part of the advice is to clean regular contact points - not sure I want to take a bucket of hot soapy water to the light switches.. might have to be a lighter.. less wet..approach..

Fee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 20 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky Colour it green wrote:
- not sure I want to take a bucket of hot soapy water to the light switches.. might have to be a lighter.. less wet..approach..

A very soapy cloth followed by a non-soapy cloth, maybe?

Turns out Happytechie ordered a bucketful of sanitising wipes, I think of 1500. I find them too dry though, not sure how effective they are! They're living by the front door. Not that anyone but him is coming in and out of that though.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 20 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be useful if you go shopping and have to handle baskets, trolleys or door handles anyone else has touched. Take a few with you and wipe before touching.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 20 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Might be useful if you go shopping and have to handle baskets, trolleys or door handles anyone else has touched. Take a few with you and wipe before touching.

when I am forced to go shopping, I shall wear gloves.

atm, I am not shopping. We are both asthmatic so have to take extra care. My plan is to avoid going out there as much as possible.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 20 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloves are ok but remember to remove them properly and still scrub.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 20 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
gloves are ok but remember to remove them properly and still scrub.

indeed

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 20 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have to go to the supermarket today, so hoping they are being careful with the sanitising. I try not to use the handles of the trolleys either if I can help it. I am not in an at risk group, but husband is, so am being very careful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive