Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 190, 191, 192  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 20 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy wrote:
And so a new rural myth is born!

"You want to watch out for they Blackbirds, zur. Round here they kills Leopards and feeds 'em to the females on the nest, that they do!"

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 20 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamanda wrote:
How big was the leopard slug?

above medium

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 20 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrs brack has popped in a couple of times for some grains and a drink, seems like she might have started laying.

little brackets should be fun

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 20 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard what I thought were 3 robins in the wood declaring their territories yesterday. One was quite close to me, one off to the left a moderate distance and another to the right at quite a distance as could only hear it faintly. The wood anemones are coming out, but still a lot to come by the looks of it. Bluebells starting to come out a bit. Wondering how to stop people coming to see them this year as it is usually very busy at bluebell time.

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 20 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Bee Fly of the year today.
Also the Nuthatch was calling away like anything both times I wandered down the drive.
ChiffChaff singing in various parts of the garden - I believe it is just one moving about.
Flowering Cherry on its way to being spectacular, as it does every year.

I think spring is truly on its way!

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 20 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is here as far as flowers are concerned, but not so sure about the birds. They have been singing away, but apart from the rooks, magpies and pigeons, haven't seen too much sign of nest building.

The robin came to visit my digging in the garden yesterday and started to accept me as a servant as it didn't fly away even when I approached fairly closely, then only flew a short distance.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 20 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parliament of jackdaws

some sparrows still nest building and decorating, lavender and rosemary added perhaps as mite repellent?

i have found a spot where i can snap them on/in their nest bush which might be fun, they were not bothered when i popped up in an odd place

Slim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 20 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birds are singing up a storm here, though I don't know who is saying what.
Spring is still arriving to the plant world however. My best gauge to share is that garlic is just barely out of the soil, ditto rhubarb

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 20 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 'down the garden' robin was very much in evidence yesterday and looking very smart. Lovely red breast, bronze coloured back and wings and quite plump. Looks in firne breeding colours. It was picking up the insects we disturbed and came within a couple of feet of us. I think it was talking to us as well, as it was making very quiet noises to us rather than singing, although it did that a bit too.

We have lots of primroses in what son likes to call the north lawn that are making a lovely show, and fritillaries and violets in the south lawn that is mainly overshadowed by trees.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 20 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on my way down to the allotment on Saturday and saw two female blackbirds trying to kill one another. They were that engrossed in it they didn't see me standing there watching them, for quite a while. They flew off and carried on the fight across the road.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 20 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kung fu pigeon was a pretty good movie but the dubbing is a bit "unusual"

they have been at it for a few days

the side flick with wing tip feathers as the striking tool uses a whiplash action and feathers can deliver a surprisingly heavy body blow or a whipcrack slap that is very fast.

i might add them to the animal styles if i can work out how they do it, tis not like mantis or crane but there are similarities

wood pigeons can be surprisingly aggressive

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 20 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had birds having song fights in the woods again. Not entirely sure what they are, as I couldn't see them, but got to be one of blackbird, robin or blackcap (might be a bit early for them and don't think it was blackbird).

The beech trees in the next wood are coming into leaf and starting to look really pretty. They are different seed from the ones in our wood we think as they are always earlier. Some of ours are starting at very low level, but the difference is very noticable. The bluebells are starting to come out, and the hazel is starting to produce leaves, so spring is definitely upon us.

Slim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 20 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stepped out my front door this morning just at the right time to hear a very loud loon call, and I looked up to see it flying right over the house!

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 20 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never seen nor heard one but i have loved the name since i was a nipper, i don't how they got it , "moon birds"? or are they a little"unusual"?

round here spring has sprung we are having warm and sunny most days.
insects getting more active and numerous, i spotted a new one this morning

it was shaped and sized a bit like a large ladybird larvae but was some sort of flying beetle, blackish with a few pale specks.
it was looking for something on a painted wall outside rather than in the foliage so i suspect predator and /or house hunting, strong carapace and wing covers but very flexible, fast and good in the air.
impressive wee thing whatever it was.
how many millions of these things?

sifu fat ankles or 四福胖脚踝 pronounced Sì fú pàng jiǎohuái seems to have defeated walter two sticks and claimed here as his territory over the last few days

the sparrows are still gathering final decorations for their new homes and going back to mite repellent mr brack went off with a fag end which would work if shredded into a nest build, it was not lit but i have heard of it having consequences.

Slim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 20 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look up some videos/recordings of their calls. Very distinctive, and fairly loony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Page 50 of 192
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive