Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
yogurt
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 20 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left one batch straining for longer than intended...added a little salt and herbs...soft cheese!

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 20 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you don't have a previous batch to add to you new, what do you use please?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 20 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mum just used to use shop bought live yoghurt as the starter

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 20 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a yoghurt maker, but started off making it in a bowl which I put in an insulated bag and left near the fire overnight. The way I do it now is to add 2 rounded tablespoons of skimmed milk powder to 11/2 pts milk, then scald it to be sure it is fully pasteurised. Cool to lukewarm then add about 2 teaspoons of live yoghurt and stir thoroughly. Leave to work overnight, then it can cool. If I use full fat milk and then leave at room temperature for about another 12 hours, the whey absorbs, so far more yoghurt. Texture is moderate thick. Kept in the fridge it will last over a week. I take a couple of teaspoonfuls off when fresh and put in the freezer for the next starter. Need to buy new live yoghurt every so often, but can keep going with my own starters for several more batches. Shop yoghurts vary, so pick one you like as the starter; some are quite acid and some rather milder.

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 20 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be going mad but I remember there was an article or a recipe talking about taking the milk to various temperatures before cooling to achieve certain end results with yoghurt?? Does anyone else remember it?

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 20 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
She used to bring a pan of milk to a simmer, let it cool slightly add some of the previous batch and put in the airing cupboard overnight

Very simple

Pretty much as I did, only I lack an airing cupboard hence the towels.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 20 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a batch in an insulated flask overnight. I boiled the milk for about 10-15 minutes (using one of those glass discs to stop it boiling over) then let it cool before addding the yogurt and chucking it all in the flask. It's come out reasonably thick. Not Greek yogurt consistency but deffo slightly set.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 20 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make enough for more than a few days, you need to heat it to above 60C to ensure that all the bugs are really dead. This equates to when the first wisp of steam starts to rise from it (found that out by having to keep red dye baths no hotter than that). After that, it needs to cool to blood heat, which is tested by putting well washed little finger into the milk, or using a thermometer. Doing it that way mine keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 20 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine to 85 deg C for 3 minutes then cooled to 37 deg C before adding culture.

I still wish I could find the yoghurt article/recipe about different temperatures providing different outcomes. I did try searching but there are pages and pages of stuff mentioning yoghurt.

Midlandsman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 20 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
I took mine to 85 deg C for 3 minutes then cooled to 37 deg C before adding culture.

I still wish I could find the yoghurt article/recipe about different temperatures providing different outcomes. I did try searching but there are pages and pages of stuff mentioning yoghurt.

I do similar - 81°C+ then cool to 41°C. The heating is to re-pasteurize(?) the milk I think. Above 81°C, as against normal pasteurization temp, is said to make it creamier.

MM

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 20 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have started using full cream milk to which I add skimmed milk powder before re-pasteurising. Proportion I use is 2 rounded tablespoons to 1 1/2 pts milk. The whey then absorbs again, so more yoghurt and it still stays pretty thick.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 20 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full cream is the best - I'm not adding milk powder as I might need that if the milk deliveries stop

interesting with my saucepan method is the yogurt is a lot thicker at the bottom, presumably because it is warmer down there. Dunno. it works.

gz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 20 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be. I use a yoghurt maker and they advise putting 200 ml of water in between the maker and the container..like a Bain Marie..but it still has a thicker bit at the bottom

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 20 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon the thick bit sinks to the bottom. 🤣

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 20 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
I reckon the thick bit sinks to the bottom. 🤣

could be!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive