Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Good or Bad Idea?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 20 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
At that spacing only something really quick is going to be worth interplanting (so no, don't put your beans or peas in there)

Agreed.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 20 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirded.

Beans on corn work best when it's grain or popping corn that will be left on the plant to dry down.
Squash get big

Nick

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 20 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
Nick wrote:
Shan wrote:
Don't you start.... you are responsible for a good portion of my lack of space!

HOW?

I was after a couple of spare chilli plants!

Well, there's 13 Chilli & Pepper plants taking over my greenhouse! Would you like me to cook them for you too when they are done fruiting?

That’d be great. Thanks.

Could you pickle some too, please?

Shan

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 20 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the answer. Don't put it on here.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 20 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:

Don't be so humble! You deserve to be lauded for your generosity!

dpack

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 20 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
Shan wrote:

Don't be so humble! You deserve to be lauded for your generosity!

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 20 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto!

Henry

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 20 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the three sisters thing before, and nothing grew very well. I think it needs a ton of nutrients, and the corn needs to be well established before you get anything trying to climb up it! I’ve got a Trial bed especially put aside for it this year with a whole barrow of WRM on it, and compost on top, to see if I can get it to work. I’m not so convinced that I don’t have also individual beds of corn, beans and squash, but I’m still going to give it a go. Imagine if you could devote all your squash and bean space to sweet corn as well! At the moment, I think I will struggle to keep it watered enough, but that might change anyway.

My bloody chillies etc are still languishing in the spare room while I sulk about my polytunnel, which blew away last week. 😡

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 20 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your polytunnel. Was that the north easterly we had? Wind from an unexpected quarter always does the most damage. If you get the polytunnel back, you need to make sure it is very well anchored by the sounds of it.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 20 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got it back, albeit a different shape. I don’t know how whether to try to bash it back into shape or just buy another. It’s a very exposed site, so I wasn’t expecting a winter out of it, but gales in May seem rather beyond the pale!

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 20 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the still strong parts, replace what is trashed, storm lash it down before next time

storm lashing is pretty simple and only needs enough rope and anchors to be solid

glad you got it back, in the "no hurricane" storm of the 1980s i watched an ali framed green house that had shed its glass do a very competent tumble weed impression along the A24 at about 80mph while i foolishly decided to get a torch from the car when the leccy went out.

not as extreme as some mountain stuff but a daft call on my part as i had not considerd the UFO's, the estate agent sign i dodged was quite a weapon

wind is fun, my last sticks and a sheet one was at treen, my string and gaffer tape "tent" survived, 2 good expedition tents survived, there was some good forage from the other 200 or so folk the weather chased away
i still have more carbon fibre tent poles than i know what to do with

cross lash, decent anchors, should cope with most weather

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 20 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with storm lashing. We managed to keep our heavy duty gazebo in one place while all around were falling apart or taking off, but can't say I liked it very much. Ropes or straps over the top at several places, cross lashings inside and very strong, long spikes. Wood or serrated metal work best as they don't come out of the ground so easily.

Personally I don't like high winds as I find them very tiring, and they can be rather frightening too.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 20 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I neglected to latch the door properly, and the wind got in and under. It had already survived similar winds. I’m not sure whether to buy another, or save my cash and put it towards a permanent one. I’m not completely sure about the site, yet though.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 20 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
I would agree with storm lashing. We managed to keep our heavy duty gazebo in one place while all around were falling apart or taking off, but can't say I liked it very much. Ropes or straps over the top at several places, cross lashings inside and very strong, long spikes. Wood or serrated metal work best as they don't come out of the ground so easily.

Personally I don't like high winds as I find them very tiring, and they can be rather frightening too.

if the ground is not suitable for spikes a decent sized rock or collated rocks makes a good anchor

rebar is a cheap source of metal spikes

as far as internal lashings, they could also serve as support for things that need to climb.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 20 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not sure about the site, perhaps save your money for now. When you are sure might be the best time to consider a permanent one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive