Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
2 Months Coal Free!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 20 8:54 am    Post subject: 2 Months Coal Free! Reply with quote

Excellent news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52973089

I still don't understand how Drax can be almost carbon neutral burning wood pellets from the US though....

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 20 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering we have had the warmest,driest 2 mths in our lifetimes its hardly a shock coal has not been needed.

And as for Drax being almost carbon neutral,that takes a bit of swallowing.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 20 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Considering we have had the warmest,driest 2 mths in our lifetimes its hardly a shock coal has not been needed.

True, but the amount of generation through real renewables (hydro, wind and solar) has been great. Hope it can continue.

Biomass is crazy, especially when you're importing the hugely bulky and calorie poor biomass to burn.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 20 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Ty Gwyn wrote:

True, but the amount of generation through real renewables (hydro, wind and solar) has been great. Hope it can continue.

Biomass is crazy, especially when you're importing the hugely bulky and calorie poor biomass to burn.

yes yes and yes

it is probably better than when they tried adding a few percent petcoke to the coal they were using at the time

Molybdenum and hypocurosis seemed to be a rather delicate subject

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 20 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2 Months Coal Free!

does that include delivery?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 20 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tit!

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 20 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that when I read the title of the thread I was thinking "Another advert. But I don't burn coal anymore. Blooming energy suppliers!"

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 20 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 20 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ty Gwyn on that. It makes very little sense to import huge amounts of biomass from the US, but it has skewed the timber industry badly these days.

The plus is that at least this stuff is coming in in pellet form. The original idea was that it came in as chips or whole wood for chipping, but the Forestry Commission were very concerned that would import all sorts of pests and diseases from the US.

Currently, the biomass market is paying silly prices for timber for use in power stations and this is good if you are in the wholesale timber market, but not so good if you are a small scale firewood seller. So far, we have been all right, but if that plus the new legislation that says we not only have to sell only wood with less than 20% moisture content (buyer can then soak it in rain, water butt etc. to their own taste) and pay for the privilege of proving it is dry by joining a 'proof' scheme, we may have to pull out of it. This will upset out customers, but if it is not economic we can't supply.

As the infernal combustion engine is the main use of fossil fuels and cause of pollution, as also shown by the lockdown, this seems a step in the right direction, but rather missing the elephant in the room.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive