Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Care Homes - selling your house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 20 12:46 pm    Post subject: Care Homes - selling your house Reply with quote

We are in the process of purchasing my Dads property - he is now in a home and the proceeds of the sale will go towards his care. We are aware that when Dads savings drop below a certain threshold, the Council will take over paying for his care.

My question is this - if / when we come to this point, I am sure the Council will be checking back on Dads finances. How far back will they go? If we were to purchase the property, how important is it that we get it valued before buy it? It was valued nearly 2 years ago. What I'm wondering is, if we buy it now and Dad's money runs out in say 8 years time... will the Council check back that far to see if we have paid the right amount for it?

Not sure if this makes sense... I've probably missed out some important info or other....

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 20 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does
i would take legal advice now
iirc 7 yrs after transfer if it was a gift, if you bought it at market value i do not know

get it right now to avoid the sort of ten year battle i had, moral victory but only 10% recovered of half of it

local solicitors are a mixed bunch who often mean well but are not sharp enough for this sort of stuff

i found hugh james in Wales useful even though we did it all by phone and email
langleys in york are ace if you have a deal with it now issue you can chuck a grand at, very ace.

either of those will give advice as to what you might need to consider or do.

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 20 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister is an auditor for a council and believe you me they look into things as they are required by law. I'd follow Dpacks advice

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 20 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

, big hard earned

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 20 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my phone conversations with adult services often started with a cheery "hello, is that the thieves department"

Marionb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 20 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will obviously be going via a solicitor re. the deeds and all that. My main question was whether we needed a valuation as at today's date rather than just going with the one done 2 years ago. I guess to be on the safe side we need to get it revalued. I said we were in the process of purchasing but we haven't actually done anything yet as we are still sorting out putting our house on the market.

The most annoying thing about this is that I would have inherited the property eventually but am now having to buy it in order to have it. I am sure my Dad would be happy with me paying less than the market value as he would prefer me to have it over a stranger, and it was always intended to be mine one day etc etc but I'm not sure the Council (if it ever reached that stage, which is probably unlikely but you never know) would agree with that.

Marionb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 20 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
my phone conversations with adult services often started with a cheery "hello, is that the thieves department"

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 20 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marionb wrote:
dpack wrote:

prepare the field is my advice

learn and act accordingly

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 20 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get it values at todays price. Always safest. If your solicitor has dealt with this sort of thing before, he may be able to sdvise on whether buying at a reduced price would cause complications later on.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 20 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found hugh james in Wales useful even though we did it all by phone and email
langleys in york are ace if you have a deal with it now issue you can chuck a grand at, very ace.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive