Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
not for the pot, dear rat
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 20 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These millennial cats are lazy MR. We have a few around our area and will the catch and kill the pesky squirrel? Nope, all they do is pick on the birds.

I hope your next war goes well DPack. There is always someone who wants to come along and start another skirmish.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 20 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this time i am going genocidal

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 20 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the British cats are lazy....

Mine gets rodents all the time, and I've only known him to get maybe one bird.
He got his second rabbit, at least second that I know of, earlier this summer....

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 20 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think cats come to our garden to get away from the boring neatly manicured grass and nothing else in their own gardens. Perhaps they have had it a bit easy and only play war games in our garden rather than do the thing properly. I would have thought they could do a proper patrol in the greenhouse at least, as it seems to be a favourite sun lounge.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 20 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of half a dozen cats that have owned me only one was a good mouser

traps eat less, never wake you by spraying in your face and don't "play" with your toe at 4 am.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 20 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these might be what is required chompy might not like it but i can broker peace between incompatible critters

i always thought dick rational(even if he was not on my side of history)and his reports of large predator chewing the deer were very credible

perhaps a puma is overkill for rats and might have friendly fire issues among the local small kids etc

which reminds me to remove the bird food for the night , the box of doom has seeds ans cheese and bacon butty crust

i will see how long this one takes, i want to return bird and sammison town to the rightful owners

ps i am fairly comfy with biggish puss ambling around, if they are, and they do not seem to not harm folk or domestic critters

that said my wolf was mistaken for a bear and his footprint was submitted to the local paper as "proof"
i did not enlighten them but it did explain the screaming in the woods

if they had called it in as "wolf" i might have been a little concerned but mistaking ronnie (who was charming and chilled) for a bear was hysterically funny
not all large unusual critter reports are accurate

ps ronnie was a pretty good herding mutt with sheep or cattle, he taught me more than i taught him

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 20 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Swamp cat was found dead not far from us, and we think we have or had a big cat of some sort. We got a picture of the footprint which was definitely cat and not dog, and was far bigger than a domestic cat. We think we have seen it too. I may have done, but thought at the time it might be a dog (labrador sort of size), but the tail wasn't quite right for a dog. Haven't been any sightings for a few years, so it may have died, but it wandered around our area and gave a few people rather nasty frights when they saw it. No reports of it attacking anyone.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 20 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just checked the trap, where are my gloves

cheese, birdseed and bacon butty crusts seem rather effective

if there were at least two i now wonder how many more i need to get

it has been a few years since the last invasion, when the pub cleared some outbuildings to rent them to the builders(we have 3 related sets within a few houses)

recently there has been the hotel conversion and a fair bit of garden clearance as new folk moved in (and the cats moved out)

it might just be a general thing of less urban street food which has made them go for domestic premises, i have noticed a lot less chook bones and pizza crusts over the last few months which is nice but has consequences

this one is a bit smaller than the last one who was well chunky

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 20 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traps never sleep

i might have heard something nasty(scrabbling)in the wood shed

i like em but not on their terms, ratty de foie gras mostly lived in my shirt(until he was eaten by dogpuss when i popped out to the shops, i took her firstborn and that worked out fine, bagel was a good mutt)

ratta twoie was not as close(a black rat i raised from un weaned orphan) but we were chums even if he ate the corner off 1200 very collectable 2000ad comics

r2 was encouraged to go "feral" or he was returned to the wild as i prefer to think of it, but he never lost his love of custard crème bickies

knowing their ways does make "difficultly placed" ones easier to murder

even farm ones are fairly easy if you know their ways

i was a bit sad retrieving the mangled, i really like them in the right circumstances

dyed pink with food colour and sitting on your shoulder in a waitrose checkout queue is fun when folk dought their sanity and/or eyesight

i am not sure this war is over

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 20 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do tend to move round in groups, but hope you don't get any more. We have had to evict them from our yard in the woods, which we had to do with poison I am afraid.

On a slightly different topic, I do like the wood mice we get there, but I wish they would be a bit more selective about what they eat and where they nest. My birch top for besoms is not a good nest site imo.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 20 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the worst thing the sammisons do is frighten the mutt

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 20 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traps never sleep, where are my gloves this little one is number 3 in this war.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 20 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. Sounds as if there was a whole family then.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 20 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure, it was very quiet last night and no number 4 this morning

time will reveal if there are more in residence

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 20 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still quiet

im not being smug yet, last time i got 5 in a couple of weeks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive