Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 411, 412, 413 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 20 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day of lockdown-I am getting fed up of it, in spite of working on my place, I have started to clear an area to build a garage for the new pickup, a Toyota "king cab" ( long back for pallets), and my Massie 35x. I keep finding a lot more steel than I thought I had, as I spoke about last week. The shed may even get an upstairs!
The nurses have decided that the spots on my legs are not insect bites from my ground clearing exploits, but are a rash from an internal disorder, so why has this appeared now when that ground clearance is the only thing different in my life? I am now conscious that I have to learn to conserve cash somehow, I have saved all my life to buy what I wanted, father died when I was 8, so had to be careful and save pocket money for my train set and dinky toys. Now as life seems to get more expensive, I am looking to my savings-oh dear!

Times up now, but they say I can have another hour later in the week. Best wishes to you all.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 20 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they track down whatever it is that are causing the spots on your legs. Is it possible they are a reaction to something you have been cutting? If you carried on wearing fairly thin trousers after doing the work, sap from plants might get through and cause a reaction. Well known if using strimmers and brush cutters, but can still occur with manual work. Anyway, glad to hear from you again. It often happens that you find more as you do a clearance, so sounds as if you may end up with quite a large structure. Unfortunately things have been going up, and I can't see it getting better in the near future. No doubt you know all the best ways to save, but looking at your weekly outgoings and seeing where you can save a bit is always useful.

The wind was so strong here that we decided to avoid the woods yesterday, so did the shopping instead. The repair husband and son did on son's roof seems to be working at the moment I am glad to say. We managed to get the charcoal out of the kiln and bagged on Monday, and delivered some of it yesterday, so have some in store for orders this week, so all being well, it will be firewood for the rest of the week, and I have some more besoms to make.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 20 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They" have given some cream to me to cover the legs, but it is making little or no difference. I may be allergic to Rosebay Willow Herb, which is my main weed, or blackberries which are my main source of free vitamin C, my crop this year being spectacular, to the point I can reject any if they seem too small, squashy, or even ugly! I have given away about 10 punnets already, and advised neighbours that there are more available-pyo-as they spike me! The Rose Bay has been over the top this year for some reason, more than ever before anyway, but it is looking very sorry for itself now. I have pulled it up, but if (when) it reappears next year, which is likely, I will start using a spray of a "kill all" nature on that patch, which is designated for a garage and any machinery I may acquire for cultivations. As this will be surrounded by organic everywhere else I will still feel I will be eating wholesome, home grown food if not according to the Soil Assoc.
The biggest plus of my clearance is that I have found a lot of steel which will make a really good shed for tractor and pickup. The pickup seems to be really cheap to run compared to the van. I don't drive as fast as I did, which will have had some effect as will the smaller size engine-3.2 to 2.4., but it, luckily, goes round the corners well.

I thought there was a government directive for local people to have access, FOC, to computers at a local place. Llanrhaeadr had one for a while, but that was hardly used and Llanfyllin installed more for its town and surrounding areas. This has been reduced as more and more people have bought their own. I am just tight-well getting there as I can spend well, but now on half the income.

I am pleased that you have heard from Cassandra, She will get her town hall sorted no doubt. I just hope that she doesn't land up doing too much and not having others who will help. There is a cult about who will appear for "credit", but disappear when the work is needed only to reappear on completion for the said "credit". I should follow this with the old favourite saying, "Only Saying".

When you say rebuilding a tractor, MR, is this a new tractor to the firm or the original having a repair?.

There is a good idea, dpack! I will build a gun rest and a sandwich bar into the wheel arch of the 35. Currently the plan is to stone the floor, but it may be better to concrete it and so seal the edges. I am lucky to have so much steel to build, I only have to buy the sheets for cladding, which I can do slowly if needed.
Times up see tomorrow if it is open!

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 20 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have rbw you might also have some hairy caterpillars which can be rather nasty on skin

gz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 20 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long seen footage from New Jersey on TV...looks like horrendous weather.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 20 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louisiana got the full landfall, it will be awhile before folk are able to report on that properly

a big storm surge is probably nastier than big wind and lots of rain

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 20 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as computer access is concerned, there may be access to one in the Parish Office, but that is almost all upstairs at the moment. I think there is one in the downstairs reception room, and that may be available. The Parish Council is moving most of its office to another building soon, and that will be mainly downstairs I think, so may be one or more there.

As Dpack says, there could be caterpillars in the undergrowth and they do shed hairs which can cause a rash. Anyway, hope it goes away soon.

Charcoal seems to be quieting down a bit at the moment, but the weather hasn't been too good. We have still sold more this month than our best month last year I think, but have not had to do another firing this week, so have been able to do some firewood deliveries. I expect we will fire again next week, and we have a ring kiln to fire and a charcoal course to organise some time soon as well.

I made a couple more besom heads yesterday, and am allowed today off to go to food bank. I think I need to turn my birch again next week, and probably make up some more heads if I get time.

Still picking blackberries, but not so many at the moment as the weather hasn't been so good. Loads in the woods as well now, so need to have a good session there one day. We also need to go and mark up ash trees with die back, so may kill 2 birds with one stone there.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 20 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you back Gregotyn, you have been much missed. Hope they sort out your rash - I am inclined to agree it's probably an allergy. Try bathing with plain soap and changing into fresh pants once you go indoors.

Jam Lady you have very generous friends!!

Sorry for the long delay. I have been utterly consumed by Hall matters. First trying to work out where the President had got to as she had disappeared for rather longer than her usual overnight visits to various offspring. I finally tracked her down by asking someone else on the Committee to enquire. Turns out she had been in Hospital for rather a long time with seriously elevated blood pressure (she's not the only one, but I'm not over 80). So I organised a bunch of flowers from the Committee and went back to writing grant applications, liaising with sundry local organisations about the future of the Hall, delivering flyers to the populace, getting the radio to do a free ad, monitoring the rumour machine which holds me entirely responsible it seems, and generally trying to keep my chin up in between delivering patients to appointments.

The AGM was finally held yesterday. Not before the she-demon had talked numerous committee members out of attending in the hope of ensuring we did not achieve a quorum. I had organised for the Mayor to be our independent Chairperson but the weather conditions (galeforce winds) meant he was delayed at Colebrook where the roof was blowing off their Hall, then further along the back road a tree was down. He gave up trying at around 3, but which time we had finished the meeting.

We elected four committee members - President, Treasurer, Public Officer (me) and Ordinary Member Representative and no objections were raised to the proposed changes to the Articles. So we are now a fully functional committee. I was a bit concerned about the absence of a Secretary, but a quick check with the Department of Justice this morning confirmed that we can declare the position a casual vacancy and proceed as planned.

It's a good group of new and old members so continuity but those with the regressive world views and ego trips are all gone as a result of their efforts to prevent progress. Karma.

We have our first Ordinary Meeting in two weeks as we were all a bit emotionally drained by the end of the meeting and while relieved, also mildly concerned about the absence of a Secretary.

We agreed that each of us would be viewed as interchangeable in each others' jobs so as to ensure we are all up to speed with proper process and record keeping for each position. About the best possible result!

As a precautionary measure I have removed the trouble maker as Admin on the Facebook page, so that if she does post, it has to be under her own name.

Tomorrow is endless form completion for banks, Incorporation etc then feet up till Wednesday when I take one of my favourite patients for an early morning appointment.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 20 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

due process can be very effective when used well, i am pleased you seem to have redirected the hall "management" back to a more functional structure

i quit as chair of the orchard group as the other two failed to do the only thing i had asked of them, which was to sort out public liability insurance.

my resignation pointed out that should we get sued , rightly or maliciously, their (and my) liabilty could be up to everything we own

they asked me back once they had considered that and used a couple of hundred quid which we had(i can blag cash easy for good stuff)to get insured
my trust had gone by then so i declined and provided a "this is what needs doing list" for them to work from.

unfortunate but i am not prepared to risk all or be put in such a position.
trust is essential for working with people, if one is using them knowledge of their nature is even more vital.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 20 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems a rather small Committee, but as you have to find a Secretary, and no doubt other casual members, as long as all pull their weight, it should work very well. Better a small functioning Committee than a large one just wanting to do their own thing or nothing. Anyway, good luck with your ordinary meeting and hope you get progress with people that understand what is needed to run the Hall.

Sounds as if the weather there has been rather too lively for comfort as well, so not a good combination.

Charcoal seems to be finally easing down, but if the weather improves again, it may liven up. We are finally making inroads into our firewood orders, so still plenty of work. We are in autumn now, just as spring must be starting for you, so harvesting and blackberrying is the order of the day here.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 20 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many people on the committee makes decision making too difficult, so it's a good size in terms of the administrative aspects of the Hall. The goal is to engage more effectively with the wider community via financial membership of the Association, and also initiatives such as a call out to furnish a history wall with photos, a Reimagining the Hall consultation, a garage sale to get rid of the surplus stuff that has been kept for sentiment rather than function (how many timber benches and laminex tables do you need?) and opening up the storage facility so the stage does not look like a failed second hand shop.

Fund raising will be primarily by raffle. Our first may well be drawn at a Christmas Fair (or some such activity), and community groups will be invited to consider how they can use the Hall for activities such as exercise classes, craft activities, meeting facilities etc.

There's no doubt it will take time, but the goal is to limit the obligation for Committee to do everything and to get the Community more engaged. Of course adequate heating will need to be a priority once we get the kitchen and lighting sorted.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 20 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I am in agreement the less decision makers the faster work gets done, to the benefit of all-hopefully- Cassandra. It is good to be back here, but it is not as good as it was, the soft chairs have been replaced with hard plastic seats in case any of us are contaminated and i can only get here once a week as opposed to the 4 times I used to be allowed, but better than nothing!

I have been busy at home with the rose bay willow herb as I said before. This has now more or less gone and I am sorting the various steel lengths into sizes to make a roof frame with supports to the ground. I am busier at home than I have ever been in the past! When my"friends" had the hay they had to remove a gate and its posts to get the tractor and mower and the baler in. So yesterday I finished digging a 4 foot deep hole for the 8ft plus long 8 inch square post. It took me 2 days on and off. I creosoted the post base, standing it in a bucket to absorb as much as possible to prevent rotting in my lifetime the mistake i hade there was to paint the whole of it instead of waiting till I got it in the ground nowhere to catch hold of it without me getting the stuff all over me now. Anyway I now have the right depth of hole and post just the execution to get on with. Then just the hole to dig the other side for the shutting post!-I guess I will talk, (read bore), you all through that experience too. The consolation is that I will be doing the job only once I hope, the fencing bit of the job is easy. Then it will be operation sheep, and a new veg patch. nearer the house. Got all day now-no excuses to make to myself!

My blackberries are in abundance too MR, I have given lots away and been given blackberry pies and tarts as a result. My cooking ability is nil, so I am grateful for the pies. Other news is fairly light, but the swimming for the over 60's is coming back but only 3 in the pool at one time and in the showers/changing time and it is still going to be only 3 in the shower room. I am also going to start another veg plot nearer the house; the last one is up the hill from the back door and now fairly overgrown; so I will be borrowing a rotavator and preparing another patch. Why did I retire? I seem to have made more work for myself than I ever did at mt work desk!

I appear to have a minute left. Au Revoir.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 20 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you about a small Committee in some ways Cassandra, and it does depend very much on your community. Yours seems to be willing to get involved to some extent; ours rather less so. Having a larger Committee does mean that jobs can be shared among them, but you have to be sure they will get done. Also, more risk of 'prima donnas' as you have had previously.

Gregotyn, you have been busy. Digging holes by hand is hard work, particularly if you are using shove holers. I can't use those for very long at a time, but then I know I am a light weight. Having the veg patch close to the house makes a lot of sense.

It was 1st September yesterday, so we got our first proper order for log sacks of course. I had some to make for a private order, but one of our outlets ordered 20 log nets and 10 mini dumpy sacks of logs. Husband and son cut me a load for the nets, but need more, so another session today. I have been carting charcoal around all summer, so log sacks are a bit more of an effort.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 20 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the worst time trying to get into the computer ever today, they have changed everything around and today I have lost about 20 minutes trying to get to my emails and on here. It wouldn't take my name or password. Here now, with the same name and password!
As you know I was on the deep hole, then a friend came and said it was in the wrong place, and not deep enough. The plus is that I have found one of those 2 handled pivoted 2 bladed spades and it has allowed me to go deeper than I would have been comfortable with by crowbar and shovel. Being in Wales the hole has filled with water as I am digging!

Got to go time's up!

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 20 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am again. Library will only let me in for 1 hour then I have to go away and come back in the afternoon as that is a separate session! In the meantime I have received 2 emails from downsizer forum giving me 2 different login codes and don't tell anybody else. Makes me wonder what is happening, and is there some other motive for it coming from an "alien" somewhere along the line. I am happy with my current format and it has worked for me twice today!

I am sure now, Cassandra, with you at the helm, that the hall is now getting underway-properly. You have to get all of them to come to the meetings and you will be running. Just a case of getting the concerts and dances in there to raise some money for the more serious business of maintenance, meetings of local events and so on. Do they have produce sales and the like in there? My local village has a large hall which is used for meetings of the village people, when there is a public need. A major meeting took place recently when there was a massive insurgency of Muslims from all over the country, blocking the local village, with their Mercs and Bmw's. All because the local man said an Imam had blessed the water coming over the waterfall. The village at the bottom was blocked in and out as the is a one car wide road with very few passing places of about 4 miles!The second day we had the police there and it was better organised. Hopefully it will be less and less as they come periodically as opposed to all at once. I heard from one man how he could put a stop to it by putting a pig's head in the pool at the bottom! Not nice. It has brought a lot of extra money into the village which is good for all unless you need an ambulance in a hurry!

I can't remember if I have told you that I retired. If I haven't then I will give you the lowdown, but if I have I don't want to bore you anymore. I can't come back now till next Tuesday. They are not doing Friday or Saturday yet-not sure why, but I am glad of the break from hole digging and ground clearance work. It has not yet hit me that I am over 70. I go to bed early, but I get up early to compensate, perhaps that is why I am a bit fitter than I ought to be! Early to bed early to rise etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 411, 412, 413 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 412 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive