Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
external works, hopefully mostly paint

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 20 7:22 pm    Post subject: external works, hopefully mostly paint Reply with quote

day 3(of afternoons/teatimes cos i is old and broken)

tools found and reclaimed, 2 doors prepped and filled one 1st undercoat

not bad so far

i am starting from serious 5 coat, coach painting style about ten years ago so i do not have to find wood unless it has been exposed by a chip or crack

for ten years tis rather well wearing

i was chatting with another house mender as i was finishing off this evening, done well is a very good base for done again was our conclusion.
i work to specs he could not justify in the budget even for his recent and "a bit tricky re planning and conservation" mil quid house, as tis ours and time is relative in can.

this is my last victorian wood external house painting so i am going to do a good un if i can

4 coats this time, over the mostly sound 5 + coat work from a decade ago

i do need some putty, thermal and humidity flex is a beast on trad materials

maybe i should make me own old style, a bit toxic but stand oil and white lead has a lot of merit over whiting and boiled linseed oil.

i will let folk know how i get on with the "modern" version of epoxy mortar, the arch moves about a bit as the house ripples depending on the ground moisture, hopefully tis easy use and functional

a prop and rebuild would be daft money and pointless due the natural heave dislocating it again, so good glue seems the sensible option and hopefully the whole arch will move as one.
flw etc but best i can think of for the situation

ps i might drill the crack and add a few bits of helibar before the "new glue" mortar
note to self , ask sd if there are any bits of helibar at her house

at least it comes in two different shades of grey (cammo good )

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 20 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is surprising how much some places do move with moisture, particularly on clay and also on low lying ground. I once worked at a factory that had a 'floating' floor for the machine shop as the tide used to play havoc with the lathes before. It was inside a dyke near the sea, so assume the land rose and fell very slightly with each tide.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 20 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the heave of the beast is "difficult" for most structures

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 20 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helibar and 2 part on order for me, i rang this am and they had just been cleaned out by somebody else

i do have to buy 10 rods and only need 3 or so for the arch but the leftovers will sort the back wall(if i knew it was dangeroos i would be liable if a tragedy happened, i will peg it for fun )

another door and frame have first undercoat and the front frame is sanded ready for filling
glue mortar arrives tomorrow for some of that filling, see heave

so much for hope it is just painting

tis good mission creep, making the front entrance look good and removing the "how wobbly is that?" question makes sense

£50 and a few hours drilling and grinding etc seems a bargain, sd's window arch needed a rebuild(rot and bomb damage) that was £1200 to 3 old boys and their 30 yr old highly skilled plasterer "tea boy", china cups and plates. awesome job, this will be a bit more brutal but effective and invisible once done.

tis odd to be doing this sort of stuff again, i promised myself it was the last external painting etc much like i definitely retired after sd's house

half days seem to work ok, bit of a shock being back on the tools though it is rather nice and even nicer when folk notice the sort of spec i am working to

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 20 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im rather glad it rained all day, nowt harmed and i get to rest the muscle injury from upside down curve vibration RSI+awkward access to the arched window over the front door

that old injury seems a bit torn again but the prepped stuff all got first undercoat before the rain, so that is safe

this might take a while but steady will get there eventually, i need to prep 3 windows to that stage next, at that point the next 3 coats to downstairs is a matter of how fast paint dries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive