Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
new adjustable workbench

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 20 1:41 pm    Post subject: new adjustable workbench Reply with quote

so far it looks ok but there is some self assembly required and about a hundred bits

the manual including assembly instructions seemed ok is til i got a bit confused, then i realized i was looking at the german version and my technical german is more chemical than engineering

i will try again in english or dutch or polish

all the bits seem present and undamaged(but there must be close on 100 bits) so getting £80 off for a bent carton packing a thing that will get battered in use and is undamaged at delivery is rather nice

the last two benches are now serving as stands for machines after they had the last of their best features fed to sd's house, one has a number of chainsaw "scratches", one got rather wonky and both had broken clamping screws

ps i have not unpacked the mill roller yet as i need the bench as a stand

i will let you know how it goes but i have an alligator socket on a short adjustable ratchet wrench and a variety of suitable engineering tools

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 20 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the English version starts with "take the ... out of the cardboard box", as the instructions were inside the internal wrapping that seems a little redundant

instruction manuals are fun.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 20 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only last year got around to disassembling a back to front workbench It spent years in that state,

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 20 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tis assembled, all part accounted for and it seems to look like the pictures

among the many parts is a bolts, washers and nuts kit for attaching machines , rather useful as the next task is unpack and commission the rolling mill

not railway lines but wire and sheet non-ferrous,small, pretty and shiny stuff

sil mucks about with nice metal as well so he can use it if i can play with his nice new bench grinder if i need to, not for the current project i hasten to add, they are useful for sharpening some things and shaping and polishing many things but not metal like that

between us we have some useful kit, when i suggested we needed a forge/workshop he seemed to like the idea
premises that are convenient and affordable are very hard to find, my chum who does wood carving for new or restorations has not found anywhere suitable in several years, my issue would be health and safety for my gas axe/plasma torch, power hammer, grinders etc as well as the forge sparks and no noise issues with the neighbours would be good it would be nice but impractical round here afaik

we do know of a "school" in the teach and trade tradition but the owner is rather controlling and difficult although he does have some useful kit

apart from having to improvise a hearth outside(i have refined gold in the yard and have a half pound silver melt planned)we have quite a lot of that sort of kit between us

my tile cutter is ace for stones and jet, odd how some things can have more than one use

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 20 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mill has 7 interchangeable rollers

to change the rollers seems to need a full strip and rebuild looking at the instructions.
tis a good thing i can play nicely with gears and splines and screws and springs and stuff

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 20 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it helps to have the instructions in several languages if you can read them. In the past I have tried to assemble things that have been translated to English from the Japanese through German, so a working knowledge of German is useful at that point.

DIL says if translation is done properly, the language into which it is translated is the translators native language. That way you avoid terms such as that on some violin strings talking of the 'entrials of a cat', for the old gut (usually plastic these days) strings.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 20 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very disappointed you even opened the instructions.

Any chance of a piccy, pretty please?

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 20 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
I'm very disappointed you even opened the instructions.

I'm with you on this, instructions aren't even any use as toilet paper

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 20 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those ones were a bit tricky in words but not bad in the parts list and pictures

i have a feeling the words passed via several languages before they got from german to ungurlish

the ones for the mill are ace and vital if i am to get the thing operational, those will be laminated and tied to the machine

unlike most blokes i find looking at the instructions before final unpacking seems to save time or accidentally putting it together inside out in some examples

imho commissioning instructions are usually helpful, operating instructions are a much more varied group
those i often ignore, if there is a good book on the subject(see pooter, camera, photoshop etc) it tends to be far more use than the nerd speak ones that come from the factory

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 20 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far i have unpacked the mill, degreased one pair of rollers and tried it on a bit of twisted copper, seems to work, bit clunky and could do with a full frame and works clean, oil and refit with the wire rollers fitted.

tis rather heavy and i recon it needs a big lump on the bench base and centre mounting at the back

at the end is a bit out of balance and being able to crank the handle matters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive