About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
apples

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 20 1:32 pm    Post subject: apples Reply with quote

nice find

i still need to identify 3, perhaps 4 if that one has two different grafts which is possible, types.

so far they are unnamed by me or by localish experts, not tried global/dna experts yet

afaik they are old varieties rather than "new ones" but old can have forgotten its name and address

the chap i asked last knew several thousand by sight but these were not in his registry, nor in his library

spose bring them on (i might have a good spot for them on an allotment but i do know a few orchards) and see how they develop.

they are all on enthusiastic rootstocks so they have good feet whatever the top is.

having explored some ancient ones of york there are reasons why many old varieties have gone out of use but if they have survived they have merit for robustness even if there are easier or tastier types and the russety one is ace

the "mother plant" of the russet got a crown prune a few years back which has more than doubled the fruit size so i recon the graft might do rather well in a few years

i need to go and collect a few scions from so far unsuccessful tries on a other "unknown and ancient" examples

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 20 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the apple crops up North this year?

I only have one tree here,no idea what its name is,was told when i came here it was a dual variety as some apples are all green and others are reddish/green,having given away 8 carrier bags full,plus the buckets and bags on the kitchen floor and the apple pie in the oven which should be ready in 10mins or so.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 20 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bad but not huge, the early and warm/dry spring was good for blossom and pollinators but summer was not ideal for a bumber crop

better than the last two years, one had blossom loss by storm the other was rather dry for a while, so they shed protofruit early that time

different varieties seem to be suited to different years, makes sense i spose.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 20 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think our crop in the south was quite good. We had a reasonable crop on our trees, but they are not in a very good place, so cropping is rather poor.

Currently getting Ashmead Kernel from a farm shop which is a very good cross between a Cox and a russet. Fairly old variety and a very good one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive