Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
happy story and a recipe

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 21 7:23 am    Post subject: happy story and a recipe Reply with quote

linky

i have a few good spots for mussels, the biggest most tender ones are in a north sea place where 10 mins at the lowest bit of a spring tide uncovers the hole cut by a whirlpool and gives access to deep cracks still underwater around it
those average about 4 inches long
bit of an edgy forage as there is about half a mile of sea bed to cover in a few mins each way and a few mins rummaging
dangeroos, yes certainly, possible more than once and worth it but not for "holiday makers"

best cornish one is very different the rocks are uncovered every tide but it is a wild bit of water, small mussels but awesome flavour of Atlantic waves

there are many ways to cook em but hinge up one layer thick shoulder to shoulder, cover with a thin layer of fast burning kindling, fire the regiment from the upwind side
or
1/3 sea water+1/3 good cider+1/3 fresh water, fragrant herbs

both are rather nice and very simple

as mentioned in the linky bit clean water dont drown

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 21 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take issue about foraging being eco-friendly. It is as long as not too many people do it. Otherwise a landscape can be denuded of the thing being foraged, such as some places putting a complete ban on fungus picking.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 21 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps the north sea one makes me very cautious as a 5 min mistake means white water wild swimming

a 3 min mistake means wade through a cross current over rough slippery rocks

the chap there i met who hunts lobsters with a hook is a daft as me but more practised, that needs get there and then climb down the end of the spit and into the waves, then go down a bit and fight lobsters in cracks
delicious sea to plate in a few mins but risky delux, too much for my dial

i taught him limpet burgers for slow tides

dinner or dead is counting coup on forage knowledge and can pay off well or badly

from pier supports or whatever is middling wild swimming if it goes wrong and with care it will not go wrong

beyond obstacles and a few mins on the sea bed at the base of a whirlpool is special but very very silly

my thinking is if you can avoid getting whirlpooled or grated if you mistime it, swept into the estuary or side ways across the bay is a plausible exit, not dignified but survivable if you can take 10c at warmest for half an hour in water

the time i was a bit slow i had the choice of cross flow and march or swim sideways with it
fast march on a slippery 3d surface under moving water worked

fun but edgy, be careful folks

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 21 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
I would take issue about foraging being eco-friendly. It is as long as not too many people do it. Otherwise a landscape can be denuded of the thing being foraged, such as some places putting a complete ban on fungus picking.

yes

which is why the edgy places are good and peeps should be told shrooms will kill them

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 21 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:

yes

which is why the edgy places are good and peeps should be told shrooms will kill them

that should be shrooms, worms, shellfish, beetle larvae etc will kill you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive