Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
as promised axe cosy photo

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 21 1:53 pm    Post subject: as promised axe cosy photo Reply with quote

the frog can be clipped to either side of the cosy or used as a naked blade loop
the top can be opened on one or both sides and clipped open at the back
the frog can remain on the belt and a cosy wrapped axe put down or handed over

it needs a good soak in neatsfoot oil for flexible and waxing for long term waterproof

the bonus photobomb bird is real and my chum who wondered why i was not stirring up worms with metal on a stick:lol:

that is handle 3 since i found the head, it seems ok for balance etc (i used a very nice stick and a bottle jack to fit it this time:lol: )

my design and the leather work is by SIL, considering the time involved etc i am not sure hand made by him in that style could be within many budgets but it is very nice, thanks son

as an aside this old man giggled about his small sharpening mishap with one of his projects and we shared the delights of various accidents and dressings for sharp metal work wounds, he is also learning to sharpen and make work knives

feel free to use the design, open source

ps the axe is about 23 inches from heel to top tip of head, nice balance for wood or anything else

i need to fettle the big un with a decent stick that suits it or find a better big head and fettle that
a good stick is not an expense, it is a necessity

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 21 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 21 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting design. Son has produced a few tool sheaths, the latest one for a folding pruning saw. It has a belt hanger, and I wore it for quite a while whilst walking in the coppice one day, and found it didn't restrict me at all, and I didn't notice it was there at all.

Are the fastenings on that press fasteners or something else Dpack?

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 21 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

press fastenings, good quality ones, bit stiff so far but they will ease with oil treatment and use while retaining function

i toyed with ties, clips or twist/slot thingies but decided press ones would be best

it works and is very adaptable to suit what is needed for a task or carry, the easy single un pop and sit down with an axe in a cosy beside you is nice
it belt carries either side in a few ways to suit the job

as a "load" while pottering about it seems tidy but i have not tried it in a thicket or hedge yet

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 21 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good that DPack.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 21 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the picture you show it slid down the handle. Does it come off completely for use?

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 21 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep , push the heel or stick and it is quick draw m'graw

axe saia iaido with an axe

it is for work, whatever that work might be

the leather bit and the axe bit stay together in assorted ways for carry, working and storage etc but the axe bit can run free whenever it needs to with an easy style from the cosy and frog or from just the frog

it is three part, the axe, the cosy and the frog, they are a happy ménage à trois but can all be independent if required

ps axe is among my forms as well as a tool

perhaps the photo does not really explain how well this works and i need to show it on a belt and in use

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 21 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pps it is small and light compared to some, so am i, i recon i could get a gig with berserkers if i showed them what it can do

as a bushcraft/forrester/domestic tool it seems ideal, the head was hudsons bay in style(good metal and well forged, but i do not know its age or origin) , i had to re grind a broken corner of the edge so it looks a bit more bavarian now and i only part removed the burrs cos they assist with splitting or abuse as a hammer when less ragged
the recent handle is swedish made, bought via the axe shop in the north east, nice stick

the head is about pound and a half, the stick is about the same mass, that gives ace balance for long or short work of any type
drop a tree, cook dinner or build a house or very grumpy viking

over a long time i have used many and had a few, this and me have developed our relationship over 2 decades

it is very functional, although i do need to fettle the edge to splitting razor

having tried a few, a 4 or 5 lb sandvik felling axe is sort of ok , but this wee thing will do that and is more convenient

huge heavy ones are not my thing, i tend to use momentum from speed rather than mass when cutting, driving or breaking stuff with a stick tool

i have a 3 and a bit lb head,old, not bad metal, daneaxe-ish in shape , it would be a good one for felling or cross cutting
i might remount that, i have no use for it but it is a nice one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive