Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
mending stuff

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 21 5:35 am    Post subject: mending stuff Reply with quote

mainstream start

some of my best kit is mended

ovens usually last a few changes of the bits that make them hot, blowy or switchy
not my work but my plan, the CH boiler has an original case and burner box and some original internal pipes
the rest of it is new and one or more bits at a time
a few engineers love it, many need directing and/or comforting
ps it has one of the best burn ratios they ever get to measure even though part of the flue was ragged off with pliers by an old chap who knew how to up the intake to make up for fire box erosion roughness

mend stuff is good, unless bob the builder says "no its etc"

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 21 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've repaired a washing machine and an oven in my time. Not too hard. One of them I did before the time of the internet but I can't remember how I found out it was the brushes and how to change them.

Slim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 21 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used that site to repair phones. Very handy.
The trouble we seen to run into now a days in this house is not having time to devote to repair or mending and needing a functional ______ now!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 21 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as possible I live with some parts not functioning. The timer on the cooker hasn't worked for years, so I time things manually; not a problem. One of the burners doesn't light automatically, so I use a match. Luckily husband is pretty good with the electrical stuff. As far as clothes etc. are concerned I can repair anything repairable, but when the cloth wears out, things have to go or get repurposed.

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 21 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still have our 20-year old microwave. When it used to die, we'd take a look around and realise that modern microwaves are vastly inferior to ours, so now I replace the magnetron (30 quid for a new one) whenever it dies and it's as good as new.

Word of warning - don't try this yourself unless you know exactly what you're doing, as you will kill yourself.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 21 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord, Shane, that's a fair old caveat.

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 21 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google it and you'll agree!

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 21 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we bottled it at the idea of strapping a magetron to a coconut with gaffer tape and using an extension lead for a bit of distance

it will kill you is a very fair caveat for getting it wrong with a microwave oven

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 21 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness that we never really use ours anymore.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 21 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back to mending stuff

my axe , found with a top corner chip, in a muddy place
third stick, decent grind , nice new cosy

it might be tricky to shop for that

the thing i am putting into second fettle and second polish(i am ignoring "what the butler did" to the edge and handle when i say that, saved me a load of cash for a good un) could be thought of as mending things

boots, i will go quiet before i sap your soles

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 21 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my next mend project is replacing the extractor motor in the cooker hood.
So much stuff these days is shoddy and virtually irreparable, but oddly some things do seem to have common standards.
So extractor systems seem to be just about universally 3 speed with a common wiring system.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 21 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our microwave died and I decided that I could live without one.
Tumble dryer we kept mending until no. 1 son needed it then he mended it so he could use it!
Washing machine has had a new door lock and the new brushes are waiting to go in.

Pirate has a shirt waiting for collar and cuffs to be turned and there are various zips needing replaced...but that's not my favourite job😄

Three generations at least if make do and mend...but there are times that one yearns for something brand new!!

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 21 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really annoyed this winter when the beater brush on the vacuum cleaner stopped working, essentially making the whole machine worthless. I finally traced down the issue to a broken wire leading to that smaller motor, but not before taking the vacuum apart being able to put it back together (too much plastic, not enough screws).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive