Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 191, 192, 193  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 21 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of nice squeaking from the early birds

even with iso 40000 capability+ big hole lenses and if i could eyeball them in the very early low light i would need to use a night vis lens or an optical lens fit for an observatory, neither are ideal
i will not use a speedlight on wildlife, repeat to self very tempting for a snapper, very offputting to a birdy chum(and many other critters)
it wont happen

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 21 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were up in the woods again over Tuesday night as we were firing the kiln again. Owls made a tremendous noise at dusk. Think there may have been a couple warning each other about territory. Yesterday, everything seems to have been quite quiet as they were sensibly keeping their heads down as it was cold and wet.

Saw a pair of deer without the third. Wondering if third was mother and the others were last years fawns now on their own as Mum is giving birth again.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 21 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr brack is taking bracket junior around the hood, wall top, big water pot, worm bed places to hide

the young one might be paying attention but mostly it wants dad to stuff its beak with dried mealworms

going by the shape of jnr, mr brack's diligent worm delivery service has converted into a strong , plump, bracket junior

the sparrows are busy, some returners, less than they started with last year, perhaps it was a hard winter or the colony has divided

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 21 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bird town news

the sparrows are using my hair
the bracks might have two children as mr b is shopping even though the one i have met could visit, much as young bracket did last year

the sparrows are taking food to the colony nests in emma's bush, from that they are probably feeding broodies and young uns
the squeaking might add to the data on that

justin says hello to those who know him
the tweeds are still doing handmaid as far as i can tell. they had a good winter, the main colony might have had over 50% casualties and emigrants

no curly

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 21 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small bracket is rather charming, shy enough to be safe, chilled enough to be papped from a few feet away

i did try meal worms in the fingers but that was far too forward of me
a polite distance seems ok

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 21 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many or no leg news

a slow spring

there are few aphids on the nettle, i hope they build up before the ladybird laevae and sparrow feast

a few butterflies and bees, not many or enough

some wasps, not enough

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shot DPack.

We saw two coal tits playing in our garden yesterday. Never seen them before, so I hope they come back. Also had some gold finches on the seed feeder, I've not seen them before either, so hopefully they will be back.

I've also noticed them some sparrows have built a nest in part of the house where the swifts usually nest, so I guess we'll not be getting any swifts this year?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw a swift at the farm where I get my meat last week. Just a flash of blue as the sun caught it, so not sure.

The yard robin has been in evidence, but otherwise just birds being birds I am afraid.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Fantastic shot DPack.

We saw two coal tits playing in our garden yesterday. Never seen them before, so I hope they come back. Also had some gold finches on the seed feeder, I've not seen them before either, so hopefully they will be back.

I've also noticed them some sparrows have built a nest in part of the house where the swifts usually nest, so I guess we'll not be getting any swifts this year?

Thanks

coaltits are quite rare, goldfinches are ace the flatbilly lands of yorkshire seemed to have a lot of them where the landscape was suitable

swifts are quite adaptable and do not compete with sparrows for food or location so you may get both

i did the washing up a half a meter below several swift nests, with babies, on a campsite
greek ones are welcomed domestic guests, see mossies etc as well as charming

i had a moment with several hundred catching insects with a 20cm ALOW warning, they flew around and under and through my slow shapes
between floor and a couple of meters up was where the food was, a bloke is little more than a tree stump if your time is t and his is t to the -4. they are well quick.
barn ones are rather nice and reduce flies

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible there are enough aphids to make a underleaf shopping trip a good sparrow move

they probably have hatchlings, tis overdue

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might have just taken some snaps of a young bird who knows how to vogue

back soon

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the mo oi am having a camera and pooter "upgrade"incident

anyway there are work arounds

tis a bit yellow, not my plan sunshine

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech issues will not stop me

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, quite a poser. Plenty of birdsong around at the moment, but now the leaves are starting, fewer sightings.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! That girl got more sass than Madonna.

I was down the allotment yesterday digging a bed over and nearly cut this little fellow in half with my spade. It was under the soil.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Page 92 of 193
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive