Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Any ideas please

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Author 
 Message
bimini



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 156

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 6:45 pm    Post subject: Any ideas please Reply with quote
    

One of my hens has developed a really unpleasant growth on her leg. She is otherwise healthy and laying and not showing any discomfort. I'm sure that someone on here will have an idea what's going on, and be able to advise.
Many thanks in advance.




dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 40306
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

vet? cull? observe?

your call, is she happy?

bimini



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 156

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Yes, happy and active.
My instinct is to keep a close eye and see how this progresses.

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 40306
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

happy matters

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25723
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 21 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas please Reply with quote
    

bimini wrote:
One of my hens has developed a really unpleasant growth on her leg. She is otherwise healthy and laying and not showing any discomfort. I'm sure that someone on here will have an idea what's going on, and be able to advise.
Many thanks in advance.


Have you had a bit of a google? Although I've not seen it in my hens it looks like scaly leg mites. Googling shows very similar symptoms and offers various suggestions such as using Vaseline on the leg.

https://www.bhwt.org.uk/hen-health/health-problems/scaly-leg/

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 40306
Location: yes
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

well spotted, i have never seen it in a hen and did not recognize it.

Ty Gwyn



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 4421
Location: Lampeter
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Scaly leg,vaseline to smother the buggers.

chez



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 35932
Location: The Hive of the Uberbee, Quantock Hills, Somerset
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

I agree, scaley leg I think. Vaseline all over her feet and legs once a week for three weeks. Don't pick it, you'll hurt her, it'll come off when she next moults.

I sometimes use ivermectin dropon... frontline or similar, a couple of drops behind each wing on the bald bit and don't eat the eggs for a couple of weeks.

bimini



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 156

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Many thanks - a liberal covering of vaseline will be applied this evening!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25723
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

bimini wrote:
Many thanks - a liberal covering of vaseline will be applied this evening!


Don't forget to save some for the hen in the morning.

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 34529
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Treacodactyl wrote:
bimini wrote:
Many thanks - a liberal covering of vaseline will be applied this evening!


Don't forget to save some for the hen in the morning.


Right. Where do I send the cleaning bill? I have beer coming out of my nose and down my t shirt.

Last edited by Nick on Tue May 04, 21 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total

gz



Joined: 23 Jan 2009
Posts: 7265
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    


Shane



Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 3313
Location: Doha. Is hot.
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 21 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    


dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 40306
Location: yes
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 21 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Nick wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
bimini wrote:
Many thanks - a liberal covering of vaseline will be applied this evening!


Don't forget to save some for the hen in the morning.


Right. Where do I send the cleaning bill? I have beer coming out of my nose and down my t shirt.




the coffee was timed well to read that safely

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com