Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 188, 189, 190  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was lucky, it has been chilly, so they are probably still almost hibernating

nice to have phibs, one of the reasons the dirty 4 dozen were not replaced was the phib carnage, watching a chook pal snacking on endangered species is a bit difficult
very free range nice , reduce "farm flies" yep, murder wildlife no

dpack

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 21 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fun in kangaland

respect to the chap , he got back home as did the slithery one

throw a jumper at it, bless, it might have been in several bits and used as bait if it was me

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 21 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always glad that the UK has very few venomous creatures. That must have been rather frightening for the poor man.

Sgt. Colon, Glad your little friend survived your spade.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 21 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the smallest bracket is funny, a bit like seeing a kid learn about spoons and bowls, seems to have sorted mobility after a fashion

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 21 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are funny when they start to fly. I saw a crow family teaching youngster once. It crash landed in the hedge, wings and feet out, rather like a cartoon.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 21 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 bracks, mum dad little bracket and short stout bracket

multi generational community

new data to me be all of them feed at the same table and seem to be comfortable with that

ss bracket has decided i am safe or part of the landscape

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 21 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a goldfinch hopping around yesterday afternoon. They don't do that. It tucked itself into a clump of plants. Figured it would either recover or be eaten overnight.

Then today as I was moving a large potted plant with a hand truck I saw it again in the same general area. Was able to walk up and just catch it by hand. Eyes bright, feathers tidy. Maybe something wrong with one leg.

Several phone calls later I drove to a friend in Pennsylvania and we took the little bird to a rescue center. Left bird and a donation and came home. I won't be told what happens.

I don't think you have goldfinches so here's a picture of three on a feeder, in their bright seasonal plumage

Shane

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 21 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have goldfinches in the UK, but they look quite different!

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 21 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what ours look like JL.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 21 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you managed to rescue the poor thing. Hope it will recover. As the others say, we have rather less spectacular ones.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 21 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two species divided by a common name, pretty birds both sides of the pond
our ones are very fond of thistle seeds

well done for the rescue, it is often a hard call to intervene or not.
about half of mine have had a happy ending if nursing etc seemed to be the best course

decades ago i rescued a sparrow that had hit a window, araldite sorted the beak, even if it was a bit wonky, and it was still around 2 years later

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 21 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our goldfinches are the size of a sparrow. Their winter color is olive drab with the black wing, tail, and head markings.

Thistle seed is preferred in bird feeders, like the image I shared - mesh column, they can pick out seed or seed that collects in bottom tray. Sunflower hearts also popular

Dandelion seeds are popular (dandelions are not native, were introduced by European colonists.) And friend who took me and bird to rescue said they tear apart her zinnias when seed forms

dpack

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 21 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very similar in lifestyle to our ones and close enough in looks to get the same name.

i think millet is the smallest seed in my wild seed mix which is the basis of dinner with extra sunflower kernels and loads of dried meal worms

when we did "scraps" feeding the jackdaws visited a lot but at the expense of the littler ones and as we have a problem with sparrow numbers and declining blackbirds it seemed best to work for them.

jackdaws covered in raspberry crème from a bit of cake was a sight to behold, they look rather fetching in pink makeup
probably not good for them though.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 21 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw swifts for the first time yesterday. Just one and first and then it was joined a little later on by three of its mates. Nice to hear their call again.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 21 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Sunday there was a lot of bird song in the garden. Blackbird, and what sounded like about 4 robins yelling defiance at each other, as well as others.

Spent Sunday night up in the woods as we were firing the kiln again Monday, and the owls were very vocal. Sounded like a pair of tawnys and a lone tawny. Too windy for anything much yesterday, but I had to go and meet the people doing the dormouse survey, and found all the flowers are out together, from celandines, primroses and early violets to bluebells, common violet, early purple orchid, yellow archangel, wild garlic, toothwort, to even garlic mustard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 188, 189, 190  Next
Page 93 of 190
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive