Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 188, 189, 190  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 21 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdtown news

the eye marking id plan needs refinement, justin is easy to id but the, at least, 4 mcjustins all look the same

i need more criteria

rough townie pigeons pop by but only a few and they are polite.
one has a proper ben sherman twotone scarf in a green and purple theme

the sparrows are feeding in the nests, a late start for the colony, but they all seem to have laid and hatched at the same time which should be fun when they all come out to play.

gz

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 21 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see the youngsters out of the nest...we saw half a dozen or more young goldfinches in longish grass a couple of days ago..could have sworn they were playing!!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 21 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen any youngsters out and about, but earlier in the week it sounded as if about 4 robins were all hurling defiance at each other in the garden, so think the females must be on the nests. Other than that, the pigeons have stripped my PSB yet again and something, probably a pigeon, has nipped off one of my runner beans.

gz

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 21 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was wren battle in the garden this morning
One shouting victory from the top of last year's runner bean frame by the large bush aka bird tenement.
The other cowering in the garlic bed

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 21 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrens can be a bit frisky

bird town is busy, more worms ordered

earlier today i shared this to another place
it is oddly relevant to the themes of the place

Fox and magpies can get messy, I was walking the edge of a field and a dreadful screaming at the other side near the trees got my attention.
A young fox had a young magpie in its mouth, gloss over the birdy fatality Dpack this is upbeat sort of, and if my count was correct 23 magpies were swooping and pecking it.
It lay down and took some nasty flying pecks etc while screaming like a coach party on a rollercoaster that was going wrong.
After what seemed ages but was probably a minute or so, it ran for the trees during a gap in the strafing.
As far as "noises in the garden" go, I never want to hear the war cries and screams of that afternoon again.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 21 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A loud sparrow chirping all week and couldn't work our where it was coming from, then yesterday spotted an adult sparrow flying down under our front room window. Turns out one for their young was trapped behind the air vent. No idea how it has managed to get there, unless it's fallen down the cavity of the house and worked its way along to the air vent.

Anyhow, looks like the parents have been feeding it all week. I had to attack the air vent with hammer and chisel but it was nice to see it fly (I say fly, it was very poor at said task) to freedom.

Thankfully not too big a hole in the air vent.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 21 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 21 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that you managed to free it. As Dpack says; Well done. We have a blackbird singing somewhere near us. Lovely to hear, but it does make a row.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 21 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very wet day in the woods yesterday. Most of the flowers that could shut up, but the colour of the new beech leaves was amazing. The hail didn't seem to do too much damage. Saw a deer on the way out yesterday evening, and from what I could see, it seems to now be in its summer coat of brown. Last time I saw them they were a bit mottled between winter black and summer brown.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 21 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this spans about 20 mins.

violence in the morning is not just for punk parties

i just watched a serious dispute between mr brack and another male blackbird who was after their table in the diner, mrs brack had a bit of the interloper when he landed at the table next to her

a bit of posturing and noise was not enough and a close up furball aerial fight ensued, quite impressive for non fighty birds, good prediction and ace positional skills in the air

a min of posturing, a min of battle, a min of positional control of the area, re settling the world after 15 mins or so

i think mr B prevailed, mrs B was back feeding, he is patrolling and singing battle songs

it was probably the one from the next territory down but it may have been last year's young bracket with a new yellow beak

ps mr B prevailed .he looked quite smug collecting mealworms

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 21 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spoils of war.

Two male blackbirds have been psyching each other out at ours, with the occasional chase thrown in as well.

Also, two male pigeons have been lifting their wings at one another and having a bit of a scuffle. Mrs pigeon was nonplussed as she just kept on nibbling at the elm leaves.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 21 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr B prevailed

pigeons are a bit kung fu panda in style but i would not fancy a wing tip in my eyes they have a rather whippy strike with the tip flight feathers
i was taught a four finger extending whippy finger flick which is similar but attributed to crane (stork is far more pecky and potentially very nasty)

i expect it from bluetits and robins and others, but blackbird combat was a new one, i thought they postured and did rap battles

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 21 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 21 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unusual as you say. We heard a tremendous row going on yesterday in the wood, and son went to investigate. He found two jays and a crow having a barney. Not sure who got too near to who's nest, but they were being very vocal about it. I thought it was a couple of pheasants rowing, as they have a lot to say for themselves without any provocation at all.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 21 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see our rows and raise you a moider

very early this morning there was a kefuffle, i decided bird kerfuffle and went back to sleep

i guess i missed the photos note to self eyeball any kerfuffle, any time.

when i emerged into the canyon the feathers were a bit noticeable, young male sparrow feathers+top and lower parts of beak
they were being used by a youngish male sparrow but now they are the crumbs on grin's breakfast table

not much red, plenty of beaks(one discarded, one used) and claw(two used, sparrow paws get eaten as a crunchy side dish)

i have very mixed feelings about this, my little chums are ace, having grin as a visitor to the restaurant although bad for most diners is a huge privilege.

bird town is trying to ignore what happened and carry on, i will do mr wolf and deal with the forensic evidence

Last edited by dpack on Thu May 20, 21 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 188, 189, 190  Next
Page 94 of 190
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive