Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Custom size printing

Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 21 5:28 pm    Post subject: Custom size printing Reply with quote

I am using Ocular to print the back of hand-printed cards.
A5...A6 when folded have been successful, and I have managed to design the backs of square when folded cards.
However the printer doesn't seem to understand non standard sizes even though I am telling it Custom size paper ....it is an Epson printer expression X P 322.
It understands my Linux organised laptop...Epson is ok with Linux....

Any suggestions?
It was a job to find a printer that is Linux compatible, and rear feed so that I can print on 250gsm card...it still bends it a bit so I can't use 300gsm.

I don't really want to change the printer, but I feel that I need to phrase the instructions differently

tahir

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 21 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggled with this on a canon printer, you had to β€˜register’ a custom size on the printer before you could use it. Not sure if it’s something similar

gz

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 21 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could well be that... unfortunately the printer doesn't seem to want to do that...yet!
I wouldn't mind a canon printer but they don't work with Linux

Roll on the day that I am selling enough cards that it will make sense to get the backs printed at a local printers

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 21 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of the box, cut a plate for the backstamp print, print that same as the fronts, but do a batch of cards in one go on the back, before you do the image and folding etc
or
spend a tenner or so on a rubber stamp with the contact details
i prefer the former unless you mix a fun ink for a simple stamp

i am now semi hi tech with a canon tank printer, win ten, photoshop etc

the printer was not expensive compared to ink and breaking carp printers rather too often with sp grade papers let alone 300 gm lanson

the pooter was a bit costly:roll:

ed and ps

if you can find an embossing stamping machine, desk top press the handle thingy victorian/edwardian kit, it is possible to get new dies made for it at a per card cost of not much

i do not know what you print on but those and decent paper can give this sort of text size

gz

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 21 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An embossing stamping machine would be good..and they don't take up much room...and are handruaulic
Rubber stamp sounds good....I don't think I could do a link block good enough.

gz

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 21 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small tabletop letterpress would suit...and I have seen one being used a couple of years ago in Kirkcudbright.
Might be better than struggling with IT to be honest πŸ˜„

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 21 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 21 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc sd had a commercially made rubber backstamp with name and contact details but has cracked the IT issues and backstamps by pooter with details and a colour image of the process

i had a canon something that would talk to linux and older win but not with win 10
i now have a canon g6050 which is ace
afaik it might speak to linux but i have had no reason to try it so far
the ink is cheap as vodka rather than rare earth prices and it can do bulk from the tray or 300gm down the slot

Β£300 to buy but the ink is so cheap that printing is the price of the paper +0.1p b w both sides or 1p colour even at photo res

it may be worth phoning canon, they are as helpful as helpful things

it is not bad at anything and more than good enough for office(tt now and again)or arty playing to pro standards, if i really wanted a good print i would proof it with that and then get the production done commercially at daft o clock money per sheet

anyway back to the plot SD has sorted the IT for her back plate stuff and it does look better than the stamp she used previously:wink:

gz

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 21 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done SD

gz

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 21 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a letterpress printer 😎
I will still persevere with IT.....it will not beat me!!πŸ˜„

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 21 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are nice, with decent ink can add another layer of nice to goodcards etc

if you are doing a batch of backstamps on blank cards made of good paper using a wet book and etching ink mix gives an ace if slow result

anything over about 150 gm would be better damp

not will take a print dry but a better one damp, cold and hot rolled are defo wet book territory for a crisp print

for wet read damp and soft and even, after 24 hrs layered between boards with a weight on top
use clean newsprint or lining paper that has been pre moistened to "pretty damp no liquid"
and washing line drying

a thing like that will only give maybe 15 lb per sq " so soft damp paper helps a lot even if it is tricker to handle.

gz

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 21 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that's a great help.
I will copy that post.πŸ™‚
This machine comes with all sorts of necessary goodies including the manual πŸ™‚ and it's also not too far from where my brother lives so I don't have to entrust it to the tender mercies of a courier πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜„

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 21 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thought, play with inks, type/plate and machine settings and registration before risking good paper/card

gz

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 21 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely! Also there is someone using one of these at Buittle Castle between Dalbeattie and Castle Douglas...I saw them using it before they moved from Kirkcudbright, during the Spring Fling. They might be ok to talk to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive