Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 423, 424, 425

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 21 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The charcoal made in a retort kiln doesn't have any white on it as it is not actually in contact with any fire. Charcoal made in a ring kiln or earth burn will have. I agree about your method of firelighting; if we have a brash fire, we leave it, then rake through in the morning and a combination of charcoal, heat and dry sticks at the edges is usually enough to get it going again in the morning without matches.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 21 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last ember in the heap has a Loki style of humour for travelling fuel

for static rake and it lights from heat etc is ace, for later or travel not on fire now and easy lit later is ideal

the difference between clamp/ring and retort method is interesting

charcloth and other toasted tinder is better made with some air related loss rather than in a retort type of kit( a 40% yield of amazingly burny is better than 95% and where is my blowtorch)

im not familiar with the chemistry, but having some unstable radicals built into the "product" makes sense
it seems plausible that "stopped" flame might give the right reaction conditions

PS a plumbers style blowtorch will light any sort of charcoal(and other fuels)

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 21 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again for a short spell! Tried a few times but my home working has to win over the library to keep the fires burning. I am still selling about 3 nets of kindling a day, and I don't ever have a fire on at home and only have heat in food or up to 5 hot water bottles in bed if it is very cold. So what are folks doing with my kindling in this weather? There can't be too many fires being lit at night surely?, and soft wood is not a lot of use on BBQs. My guess is OAPS.

I have done a lot of kindling since I have been off for a while, collecting as much as I can now when it is a, available and b, dry! The company I used to work for are keeping it for me, and also a local store in Welshpool gives it away, but there it is only any worth going in good weather as it is outside and subject to Welsh rain! I have made my objective to chop as much as I can 3 days a week. I also have a friend who has a small wood working business in the local town. I have been a good friend to them and so I an hoping he will take me on in a casual basis and allow me to develop more products of my own, which he can have when I fall over or have had enough! Though I think I would like to "go" in my own wood shed at home!

I now know I have made a big mistake and have allowed a young girl to keep her horses, 2, on my fields for 2 years. Her father is going to do the field work for me-hedges and so on; and he will trim the large trees branches, as most are overhanging the field and I hope to be doing a good log trade. I wanted to have 2 other horses for a week or so as the owner is going to hospital for no2 baby and wants them out of the way of husband, who is not stock minded. However the new girl will not allow me to have the horses to do someone a favour. I hope she never needs a favour from me! Luckily the friend has an alternative become available in the last 2 days so ok but could have been a near thing. Easy to be wise after the event , but wait till next year when there will be no stock, even after the summer grazing!

I am about to clear up the old veg patch. I haven't grown veg for a year or so now and I have a lot of self set trees growing straight up with few branches of diameter-just the thing for show jump poles so I am hoping to see the friend as he has a large lathe and it may do the job for me. I don't know how they turn long poles but my guess is the pole turns and the cutter goes forward along the pole as they do on normal lathes? I need some advise here!!-please. The finished pole should be 5" diameter and 12ft. long. They should have no splits but that is un controllable they say!
"See" you all when I can, and best wishes till then!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 21 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly for green wood working anything round is made out of larger split wood, so the original branch would have to be over twice the required size of the final object. The branch would be split in 4 so get 4 round items out of it. If you leave it 'in the round' it tends to split unless seasoned very slowly and carefully as timber shrinks more around the circumference than radially.

I suspect people are using your kindling to start outdoor fires as 'fire pits' are all the rage at the moment. You have a fire in a pan or hollow in the earth and sit round it; like the old camp fires. Otherwise, good for starting barbecues.

Pity the girl with the grazing won't share, but she may have reasons, such as fear of infection or worry there won't be enough grass to go round.

We are busy with charcoal and improving things to make life easier for us to work. Also have some log loads to get out so people can store them for next winter, but somehow every time we make progress at the moment, something holds us back, so don't manage as much as we would like or need to do.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 21 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The library has now reopened. This site doesn't like me and the trouble it was to get in-I only got in due to the knowledge of the librarian. We have had our time reduced to 1hour from the original 2 hours. I would like to get a small pooter, but what happens when it freezes and i am at home?

I haven't got much to report, but have got horses grazing at home and the girl doesn't seem to realise that they must go at the end of September, otherwise she gets a backdoor tenancy, which means she gets my grazing for ever and a day. I have given her the summer grazing to keep the grass down after haymaking but she dived in first, not to worry as she only has the grazing till September and not a day after.

gz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 21 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand firm on that Gregotyn.
Possibly give her written notice? Thats what I did to get sheep off my ground .
Then no argument he said she said.....

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 21 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with that Gregotyn. She may be aware of the potential situation too, so put it all in writing, then if she tries to keep her horses there illegally, you can have her and them put out.

Now down to the heel on the second sock, so you should have them by winter.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 21 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is like this -the library reopened and then closed again. But hopefully this time it will keep going for a bit longer that one visit. Nothing exciting happened recently, but I have got it into the little girl with the grazing agreement, that, when I say she has to go, she goes! and she has a grazing agreement which will end on the last day of September, signed and sealed today-fingers crossed for me please folks! She didn't understand the meaning of the heading "Summer grazing", but she does now-April 1st to September30th. I explained that if I allowed her to exceed her date then she could claim a tenancy, which is out of the question. The alternative is to put the horses back where they came from across the road which is where they I will put them if she doesn't go when I tell her go.

Not much else happened. But I do have a reasonable quantity of kindling cut and I will be concentrating on that from now on for a few weeks to get the stock to be winter ready-a minimum of 500 nets by September will mean I can have breakfast in bed in winter and in time for start at 8am instead of starting chopping at 7am and boycotting breakfast! That hour makes a big difference-you chop like mad to keep warm in winter! I don't remember if I told you about my neighbour who has made a stick chopper for me using a design he found on the internet-I now chop much quicker than before and my right arm doesn't ache anything like it did when I chopped by hand, even if hand chopping is faster.

Thankyou for the second sock bulletin, MR, I look forward to their inauguration! You must tell me how much money they are.

I will be back as soon as they say I can come, been good to read some of your posts.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 21 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you have sorted that out with her Gregotyn, and that you will move the horses yourself if she doesn't. The stick chopper sounds a good idea. We have decided to have a quiet day today as we are worn out, so only a couple of charcoal deliveries to make. Firing the kiln again soon.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 21 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been blowing my own trumpet for a while only to press the wrong key-I have an excuse-my hands are wide and my fingers are short and fat so I hit 2 keys at once, and everything disappeared to that little haven in the sky! I had a good day collecting a wooden pallet from a farm machinery dealer yesterday and did the demolition and de-nailing process. All I have to do now is cut to length. The bulk of the wood is 4-5 ft long but there were about 10 pieces around 9ft long seems a shame to be cutting that up for firewood, but it had to go. I used to be so careful when demolishing these pallets, but now I use a chain saw, save hours.
Although I lose a bit of wood as i don't bother to measure it you can make a good guess with the eye and it all fits in the bag and no roping saving time. To do the chain sawing I use a baby electric saw lots of fun because it is small it is light to handle and the battery seems to last for ages. Expensive but no mixing of fuel. Got to go time is running out!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 21 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been getting double length pallets from a window company. Nice quality wood, and some really nice long screws to hold it together, so won a few of those for future use. Burns reasonably well too. We got an electric chainsaw a little while ago, and it is very useful for small jobs. Think the largest we have done is about 10" cross cut of a tree that had come down across a path, but usually used for smaller work.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 21 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pallet I had this morning had a tractor mower inside at some point this morning, and now is in 3 pieces in the back of the pickup. They come dry, so I break up as fast as possible and get into the drying shed-a cover of tin over which, was a shed, half of which blew down and left a roof with a clear blow through and I get all the year round dry wood and no effort on my part! I am hitting the firewood quite hard now to get a good stock, with an aim to get anywhere over 5 nets a day, with 20 being the target to get winter stock while the weather doesn't demand thick clothing!

Got to go times up!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 21 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful to have a drying shed. We have a log store, and our aim is to build a covered storage place for our pallet wood for the kiln. Not sure if and when it will get done, but we live in hopes. Having everything dry does make life a lot easier. At present our problem is excess heat, but this very hot weather is only supposed to last a couple more days thank goodness.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 21 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I said I was hitting the firewood as hard as possible, it appears that the 'fire lighters' of this area are having more fires to compensate for being at home, and so I am hardly adding to the winter stock. I have got 2 new suppliers for pallets, one by accident and the other was recommended to come to me as I used a lot! I am getting enough wood to keep me going. The lads are keeping the wood I would have normally taken from where I worked, for me to collect as often as I can get there, which surprises me as I have never set out to win or be part of a popularity contest, or was popular when I worked there, and also was not popular when I used to go looking for my tools when they disappeared, which they thought was funny, move the old man's tool box was almost a game, but wasted so much time. Now I waste my own time! I wondered how I ever fitted in a job as well as working at home!
At least the stock is building up for winter-about 300 nets in stock now and I am doing about 15 nets per day due to getting up earlier in the morning an improvement on last week by 300% a day The incentive to get up early is no longer there, but when I see the wood pile getting bigger, I have to get up. The hand operated "chopping machine" does a good job, and I split three blanks at a time, so I am more productive than I was, at least twice! I also find it easier to put the bad splitters on one side till I am at the end of the blank cutting and then demolish them all at the end of the "run", chopping them by hand. I have become more efficient by demolishing all the available pallets, de-nailing first then sawing and then chopping straight into the nets, a massive improvement on how it used to be!

The local 'phone works dept. have decided to replace a telegraph pole which has been knocked down a few weeks back and have now closed the road to my local village from the local town. I was just coming down to the library earlier when a woman from the doctors needed a route to get to the next village, but the road closure stopped her, so I went on a 15 mile detour to show her the way then returned back, via the same route, all for a medicine delivery-I wonder if it could have been my medicine?

My horse grazer has taken the horses away to a new pasture across the road from me, leaving all the piles of manure in the field which I told her to collect up, and where to place it in a heap at one end of the field. So she will have to go. I don't understand why these women don't follow simple basic instructions of good husbandry! got to go time up.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 21 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are getting on so well with the kindling. We have found a new supplier for pallets too, and husband and son went to get some from him yesterday, as well as some long ones from the window place. I think son also got some old decking from a neighbour who does refurbishments rather than building from new, so plenty at the moment.

Local road closures can cause chaos. We had one a couple of years ago that wasn't signed very well. Result was we had to tell the council to get it properly signed before the police needed to be called, as the poor lad stopping traffic wasn't local and had no idea where to send people, so they were insisting on going through.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 423, 424, 425
Page 425 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive