Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
hot bin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 21 1:32 pm    Post subject: hot bin Reply with quote

any one have experience of using these to compost at high temperature?

I am tempted to get one - I would use it to get rid of my cat's presents... bones, fish bones etc. Assuming it worked. I understand there is a bit of work involved - at the moment I make compost easily as I have the space to do it slowly, I just put things on the heap as they turn up and it works out. but it is no good for stinky vermin attracting stuff, and my slow method does not kill off weed seeds.

At the moment the bin situation is a mess here - the council switched to a new contractor who, it turns out, was completely surprised Devon has narrow lanes or how much cardboard is generated. Now the situation is exasperated with ping-isolations, we are not getting all our collections... it has made me consider what else I can do at home.

any opinions? on the hot bin idea?

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 21 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a really active heap will eat most things, a mixture tub will eat others and feed a heap

i would be wary of carnivore dung, flesh and bone and stuff no problem if done well

never done a "hot regime"

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 21 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one I use for 'noxious' waste like that. Forgotten what it is called 'green dome' or something I think. I use it for potato and tomato hulms, odd things like badly mangled pigeons the raptors leave, and occasionally bones, so would do the trick. The bottom is dug into the ground and the dome rises to best part of 3' high. The object is to get the stuff in it to completely break down and it seems to work with the amount I put in it, which can be a lot when digging potatoes, but not too much the rest of the year. We had to put mesh at the bottom to stop the rats, but once that was done, it seems to sit there quite happily. Not a good way to get compost, but a good way to get rid of the nasty unwanted stuff.

I tear up cardboard and also compost the shredded paper we produce, but make sure it doesn't form a layer or it tends to just sit there in a normal compost heap. Spread it in with green stuff and it breaks down all right.

Sympathise with you about lack of foresight with the waste companies. I know Devon lanes and they terrify me with a car. We at least have hedges, while yours have granite rocks in them, so nowhere to hide, and a bulky lorry can't force a way through.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 21 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
We have one I use for 'noxious' waste like that. Forgotten what it is called 'green dome' or something I think. I use it for potato and tomato hulms, odd things l.

I think maybe you have a green cone? seems like a good idea - just the hot bin is supposed to be good enough to not smell and have near the back door - an idea I particularly like.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 21 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think it was a green cone. Although I don't go around sniffing it, it isn't too far from a new house next door, and they haven't complained. I think they would have done if it had smelt. It is completely enclosed, so any smell is only when you open it. I will try putting some bones in it and have a sniff every so often.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive