photographing ceramics
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 21 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finding a quiet space near a plug is interesting

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 21 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

space and extension lead for the light located

"subject" above waist height and below chin seems about right for all 5 legs involved

this is the first proper studio type test of the tripod , i have used it for "outside" stuff, but that is a little different to this

the last time i did "studio" was the set up test of an installation in the corner of my living room, that was done with a candle and real film(and a darkroom)

this electric stuff is ace but learning fast is the only way to use it to full effect

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 21 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this a fairly basic group snap, with little sophistication, sort of works

the one on the left is the poshest one, the one on the right is our favourite
the potting is not as fine, but the multi angular, multi panelled form is used to perfection by the painter. every panel is different and there is a wee surprise in the bottom of the cup

the basic "studio" is a start with this sort of thing, i can tweak it given need.

the clamp of the lamp is "inadequate", i must replace it with an alternative, falling off the furniture mid-shoot was rather worrying

gz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 21 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pots..the one on the right is good

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 21 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gz wrote:
Nice pots..the one on the right is good

even nicer as i got all 4 of them for £10 in a flea market

gz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 21 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 21 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they English attempt at Delft or Dutch or what? Look fairly old from what I have seen, but no expert on ceramics.

Someone son is in touch with has a special box he uses to take pictures of ceramics and other small items. The idea is that you don't have a hard line across from the transition between wall and shelf, and you can change the colour with art paper if you need it. Son is interested to take good images of his leather work.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 21 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the three on the right are Japanese, 1845 ish, the far left bottle vase is Korean Japanese c1735 to 1740, somewhere i have the names of two of the studios and one of the potters

they were wrapped and stored from about 1975 in Japan, i have the newspapers, they got to Blighty as part of a mixed storage container of antiques and general "grandparent tat", which was very much in the rough

the early bird in the market spotted blue and white, and the stallholder had no idea they were far better than the tatty kendo armour, assorted dolls and other "family "stuff.
he had some nice bits, but some bits are nicer than others.
chances are the many pots worth far less (such as the super fancy shiny Meiji stuff) would have cost more or the same

i got the impression as he said £10 for the 4 he might have been wondering if he should be regretting it, maybe he thought he might have got £20 off me

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 21 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the value of them, but they look good.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 21 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
I don't know the value of them, but they look good.

i am hoping for two noughts on my tenner

gz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 21 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be about right

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 21 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are rather nice, i hope other folk like them and keep them safe

too nice for me, i would use the cups and "bottles", bad things would happen

a bit posh for pencil holders, sake or whisky oh dear
my pencil holders are edo cloisonné, knife and bookmarker in one, writing kit in the other, they are fairly robust even for my desk top

pretty as well as practical, they have an odd back story, family stuff spotted on a market stall, an interesting discussion, i took some stuff of no money value to bin it, paid the daft asking price for the wee cloisonnes either he had no idea or he thought asking for £3 might keep him alive til lunchtime that i could pop off to buy a golf club and be back in a minute or two was mentioned quite early in the discussion

it was nice to get them back, my grannie got them at one of her "posh house sale"outings, she had passed things on, then those came back

he thought i might want the paintings, i said something like "sell em if you can, horrible things never liked victorian " scottish rural romance" and those are rather carp and seriously browned

i took a couple of family photos to pass on, destroyed some 1920's kids schoolbooks etc and recovered two very nice small edo bronze cloisonné tat nests back for £3

the sofa and stuff did give its keeper a money buffer, but there was a table top that should have gone to the eldest female(i dont think she knows she missed out on that, i wont tell her)

hey ho, i always liked the cloisonné more than most of grannies's tat

ps i was not slacking on care etc, that auntie said she had everything planned and sorted, she did apart from the house clearance issues

i like old tat

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 21 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is tat and tat. Some things have memories, even if they are worth nothing. I regret that a few thing of my grandparents disappeared that I rather liked; a Wedgewood biscuit barrel, a set of 3D cards and the viewer for them, and some probably fairly worthless jewellery as well as a large photo of my grandmother. I have a fireside set of 2 side boxes and a fender that came from a friend that reminded me of the one my grandparents had too. I think some of the things may have been thrown out by my step grandmother as of no use, and some by my parents when my grandfather died.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 21 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tat is tat, the hepplewight sofa was cute but not my sort of thing(it gave her a decent not too big cash buffer, so win all round)

one man's interesting find is usually somebody's careless or ignorant loss
that is the nature of tat trading

sometimes we are nice and loose a "deal"to do the right thing

i did not buy a load of electronic warfare kit from a lancaster bomber, the chap who had it had no idea of its real value, i told him what he had, he sold two bits to a museum and gave them the other 20 bits

not ruthless seems to give good karma in the tat trade

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 21 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a lot of things of my parents to out country museum. One was an altimeter from a WWII aeroplane, but I have no idea what sort. It had luminous paint on it, and having seen the effect a late 1960s luminous watch had on a Geiger counter, I thought a museum was the safest place for it. They also had my parents 1950s lounge suite, which was supposed to last a lifetime, as I was told when they got it, and outlived them. We can still go and sit on it when we visit the museum. They paid a very low price, but I couldn't sell the stuff any other way as it was out of fashion at the time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive