Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
tidy use of timber
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 21 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only downside i can see is it might need a duster on a long stick for the crevices

totally beautiful, big span can work but using the "trees" as part of the "open space" is delightful

respect, more of this sort of thing

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 21 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautifully designed building. I agree with you Tahir, that it looks as if it blends in well in all directions. The architect understands the material, and the use of curves, which seem anathema to most architects. Laminated (I assume) and bent wood is a wonderful building medium as it can be used in curves. It continues the tradition in the UK and Europe of using wood for arches in roofs, except they were usually covered in stone. The timber is still there in many cases hence the devastating fires in several cathedrals. In those cases, the timber wasn't laminated, but grown and/or selected for the purpose. The only thing is that I would agree about the cleaning. Any exposed beams are going to be a pain to clean.

Looking at a number of the other ones, it is such a pity that the architects go for the square and the modern, particularly in places where the continuation of the existing style would be so much more sympathetic.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 21 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mosque is beautiful and technically more than a step further on from the laminated wood catenary arch village hall in Borehamwood we saw in 1987 for a Rixon gathering of 100+.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 21 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must either have a very large family or have collected them from all over the world. I thought the Canadian branch of my family was pretty large, but you have certainly outdone them by a very large margin.

There has been a lot of work done on laminated wood recently. There is the Gridshell building at the Weald and Downland Museum at Singleton in Sussex, which I don't find particularly attractive, but at least uses curves and fulfills it use as a downstairs store and upstairs exhibition/ large work area with no obstructions in the floor space, and there was another we saw further over in Sussex that was one of the first I believe, that has been up for some years. Neither of them is a patch on that mosque though.

gz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 21 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandad was one of the nine babes that survived to adulthood....

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 21 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your grandparents did very well then. My mother was one of 7 and 4 survived to full adult hood with one other dying I think in her late teens or early 20s. They did live in London though. Two of them died of things that could be cured or prevented by vaccination these days. Having lost a sister to diphtheria, Mum had me fully vaccinated for all the things available at that time. I think I was one of the first generation to have that available to them.

gz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 21 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 13.
One full set of twins died, two half sets of twins died.
Also in London. Blackstock Road Islington

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 21 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother was brought up in Forest Gate. She claimed to be a Cockney, but Dad said the wind would have to be blowing a gale in the right direction for her to be one.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 21 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 21 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's first house was in Forest Gate, but we were brought up in Whitechapel

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 21 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belatedly to the thread, that is an amazing building

Reminds me of NOT of the Millennium Dome, a building designed to last till the end of humanity, or about 30 years which ever comes sooner

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 21 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world Tahir. My grandparents move further out later, and when Mum and Dad were going out together, Dads parents lived in north west London, so he could recite the names of the tube stations right across between them for years.

As you say Jema, most modern structures don't seem built to last, but sadly the architects don't think about how they are to be deconstructed. Some of the 'iconic' things in London like the falling over old fashioned mobile phone, the gherkin (or space rocket as I see it), that broken Shard thing etc. are going to be brutes to take down without doing damage around them. The probably won't last too long and need to be demolished , possibly even within my lifetime. I know they had fun with the Tricorn in Portsmouth. They should have let the Navy loose on it; they would have flattened it easily enough.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 21 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
passive house standards.

What does that mean Tahir?

The mosque is very beautiful. Some of the ideas people come up with are amazing.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 21 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be the standard way of building now:

https://www.passivhaustrust.org.uk/

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 21 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tahir.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive