Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
blackberries

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 21 2:32 pm    Post subject: blackberries Reply with quote

so far this year has been rather good, 25% best and 75% grade one berries

the weather may have helped

nurture may have helped
they were cut back to one and two year stems in november and january(bird cover etc)
they were fed high N in feb and high PK in may when they had flower buds, june they got a top dressing of well fermented guinea pig compost

the soil is deep, very rich and well watered as required

the mylar reflectors might have helped in a canyon, but the above regime in a sunny place should be excellent

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 21 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just started picking ours in earnest. Got 2 small punnet fulls the other night, and expect to get that for a bit, weather willing. Ours don't need any encouragement. Good flavour, large variety, and rather over enthusiastic.

gz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 21 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours are still green .A few nearby are starting to turn red...

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 21 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours were like that a couple of weeks ago. We have had slightly warmer, sunnier weather since then, and they suddenly started to come on. I picked quite a few more yesterday evening. Once I have evicted last years offerings from the freezer, I will start picking in earnest in both the garden and woods. Yesterday evening we had blackberries, a cut up nectarine and ice cream for pudding. Rather nice.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 21 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had lots from down the allotment. Made pies and cakes from them. I have also been eating a lot straight from the bush.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 21 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a very good year for quality

gz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 21 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, once they started ripening...and the cultivated one (Oregon Thornless) is surpassing itself!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 21 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are getting towards the end of them now. The ones in the garden are producing a lot less, and the ones in the woods don't seem to be as plentiful now either. We have been eating a reasonable number and I have also frozen some, but not as many as some years.

gz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 21 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 21 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those look very nice, this year has been good for quality as well as total amount
i did not make wine, the best ones were too nice for blackberry port and the mid-grade too nice for wine, that is a bit odd for me as blackberry port is wonderful
as far as i got with drinkies was using the best ones mashed in gin grog, which is rather pleasant
the grade 2 (rather acidic) ones are good for antioxidant on fatty jerky/pemmican, but the berry quality was too good this year to use them like that

ours are just about over apart from jam and fruit leather in store for winter, with the last ones left on the bushes for the birds

a good year, but i might miss baah snacks and bbport at yule

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 21 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours are finishing as well MR. Just small scraggy looking ones left. I think even the birds aren't wanting them.

Nice looking collection there GZ.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive