Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
pans for induction hobs
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 21 8:11 am    Post subject: pans for induction hobs Reply with quote

we just got two pressed and blued steel ones
not coated, heat blued, which does mean wipe and care rather than dishwasher(very green)

the wok works fine, maybe not as good as the blowlamp under a hole thing but not bad, one go so far
i have not woked on electric until now as it did not work, this does, the pan gets proper hot as it needs to

the 20cm frypan is ok as well

made by salter

PS stir fry in a frying pan on a hob is a travesty of the techniques a good heat source and wok allow

this works, it may even be better than the blowlamp in a box stove with practise

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 21 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with induction hobs is that they are mostly touch controls and erratic.
Mine will go on 2000w or turn itself off at a whim and reviews suggest most others are prone to the same. I once had a nuwave one which was great until it suffered an accident

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 21 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our one has knobs as well as touch controls, zanussi, not cheap compared to others, but it seems to work ok

if the touch pad gets wet it will stop everything to avoid worse happening, ditto cloth or misplaced pan.

it has no inclination to stopping for no reason and the power/temp control is excellent

when we were looking, quite a few reviews noted such problems, this one had and still has good reviews

different to other ways of heating a pan and took a bit of adjusting to but imho tis the best electric hob i have ever used, safer than gas(in several ways) and easier to adjust than fire

tis efficient as well, the old first generation hot wires in a coiled tube things could make a leccy meter spin like a centrifuge, halogens the infra red things were not much better
these seem to get most of the input as heat in the metal

i never thought to compare the old one and the new one for energy use, instinct says far less, that said the "smart meter"is far too clever for me

ps if it will blue a steel pan it has promise for other metal work

gz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 21 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knobs as well as touch controls seems sensible..belt and braces?!
Brother and middle son use induction hobs..must ask what they use.
Anyone have experience of the Lidl one ring induction plug in model?

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 21 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have had it about a year or so, the only downside i have noticed is that on full booster power it makes my expensive dental work resonate

so i root mean square the issue and step back until it gets hot, then step in to adjust it

ps not suitable for folk with pacemakers

they are different and need slightly different techniques/kit but so far i like it
at first there were a few semi disasters(normal firefighting procedures work), having got more used to how to use it, it has been delightful.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 21 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pans do you have to use with them, as I think my cast iron ones wouldn't be suitable? I have used gas for the last 40 years, but before that we had radiant rings and before that a 1947 vintage solid hotplate hob. It had to be turned off at the mains in the end as it got rather erratic, but my parents managed to keep it going until the 1980s.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 21 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cast iron is fine:wink:
steel is good, very good
laminated heavy base are ok for wet things as usual but are still just as useless for proper stir frying

the steel wok is good

it was my good fortune to meet mr tsui when he was doing form at the end of my street, by the siv, one morning, i asked to join in and we both knew what we were doing
after that whenever i went for takeaways and he taught me how to make it

a few years ago i saw him in a documentary, he was back in china, 100 yrs old and still looking 40 yrs younger and very kick ass

good cook and nice tutor

ps understanding sticks has many advantages

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 21 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

induction and a good wok is ace

boiling stuff is easy

steady poaching is easy

etc

i like these things, apart from the teeth aspect

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 21 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the induction hob - I was reluctant to move over but it has been ace - I like that you can turn it down to a much lower temp then you can with gas. also leaning over does not catch hair on fire - always a bonus.

not had problem re dental as have all own teeth

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 21 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not on fire is good

watching ren cooking chips in a wok, on a birch fire, under a leaky tarp, in a forest. was tense

now i know how to warm a pan*, this seems fairly safe and very precise in control

*the it will take a while thing did lead to a minor oil fire, i know better now

they are different to other hobs and need different kit and style
very energy efficient is nice, most of the input makes hot metal in the pan unlike most other heat sources
as is the rapidly adjustable and easily made steady fierceness of heat

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 21 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will report on the steel crepe pan which arrived

chapati time was my first plan

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 21 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update

the mapp blowlamp is ace, all are well seasoned
doing that on a domestic electric hob would be tricky and potentially messy

the "crepe" pan is ace for crepe, but very hot with a wet cloth works perfectly for chapatis

after the option of selling me to a restaurant as they were nice was suggested, i was asked if there had been a "cloth incident"

well yes, that is how to do it etc

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 21 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is very nice to be able to use blued steel pans again

they are a faff, no dishwasher mucky cloths blowlamp gas etc, so what they are ace

very good on an induction hob, even better than on gas or fire, they are ace on those but less adjustable

odd that old tech is perfect for rather new tech, there have been pan abominations between steel and steel
1970's Al with Teflon frying pan 1950's Al and Alzheimer's fruit pans, le cruset powerlifting kit that fails in interesting thermal stress test ways

glass ones? just why? cos you could? try using em they are horrible

hob pans have been a very mixed bunch over my lifetime, if i had known about induction hobs i would have kept the cast iron skillet

laminated base stainless steel are ok and easy, but not good for some things, like pancakes or burgers or chapatis or roasted nuts or .......

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 21 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started with teflon coated aluminium, but before we were married, I had been using the aluminium pans my parents had when they married in 1947. Must say the milk pan was the best I have ever used. Since then I have gone onto Le Creuset saucepans, which are lasting very well, and a stainless steel preserving pan ditto. Frying pans are more difficult, and haven't yet got the ideal. Started by cooking on electricity, but have been using gas for the last 40 years as the cooker was in the house when we bought it. Not at all sure about these induction hobs, but we are all supposed to go for them eventually, although my preference is still for a wood burning stove.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 23 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if one needs to blue the steel, holding it close to but not touching the hob seems to work rather well

the holding and fumes might not bother many, both can be overcome

this induction heating is a bit new to me, it has merit when understood,
it was seeing industrial stuff on telly that clued me up to holding the pan half an inch over the hob would be ideal to get it hot with no stress on the hob surface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive