Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
midwinter turkeys vote for brexmas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 21 11:11 am    Post subject: midwinter turkeys vote for brexmas Reply with quote

this chap seems to know what the problems are

starting with his treatment by the MSM

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 21 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the number of years we have eaten turkeys,before any of the cheap labour come from the EU,

Either people have gone to lazy or see this kind of work beneath them,
Or the employer is not paying a decent wage now he`s used to cheap labour these last few years.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 21 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Or the employer is not paying a decent wage now he`s used to cheap labour these last few years.

It's most definitely the first two, I spoke to a friends son, currently a labourer on building sites @ £10.00 p/hr. I asked him if he'd work in a poultry plant, he said no, not even if it was at £20.00 p/hr.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 21 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chap with the turkeys was clear that his problem was not low skilled workers or low pay

he paid skilled folk well, they had the skills and documentation required for the field to shop stuff properly, they were up for a lucrative few weeks doing a high standard job on his turkeys every year.
perhaps they come from a place where they have enough skilled folk at that season and they liked a well paid contract to tide them over until spring

it is not the wages that has caused this, skills are vital, so is the ability and willingness to deliver those skills when and where they are needed

i am rather glad that "unemployed of ... insert place of choice..." is not wanting a 20-minute crash course in meat inspection, packing safety and hygiene or high welfare turkey dispatch for a six-week job in norfolk

bumping one off for dinner or "bad behaviour" and dinner is as much as i can cope with, industrial dispatch would put me in therapy
i have no paperwork, no "processing skills", etc
the money is not the issue, nor is such a job is beneath me, i have unblocked maceraters

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 21 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Ty Gwyn wrote:

It's most definitely the first two, I spoke to a friends son, currently a labourer on building sites @ £10.00 p/hr. I asked him if he'd work in a poultry plant, he said no, not even if it was at £20.00 p/hr.

I agree with you,but it also could be the money,
When i moved here 35yrs in November,the abattoir in Llanybydder ,Oriel Jones,if you went there the predominant language spoken you would hear would be Welsh as local people worked there,about 5yrs after i moved here and finished working in the colliery i had to go to Swansea tax office to sort a problem out,on the wall was a recruitment poster for Oriel Jones`s abattoir offering £5.15 per hour,15p per hour over minimum wage,that was around the time the workforce changed to a Polish workforce,
Then on the otherhand 2 farms,one a mile and the other 2miles up the road from me have both done a few hundred turkey`s for christmas since i`ve been here,and it has always been local people and their children that have gone to help out,and been paid of course.
Its the same problem with the veg picking,it all used to be done by local people,but something changed,or people`s attitudes changed.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 21 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know any parents that would encourage their kids to go into a "dirty" trade

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 21 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that`s the difference,children brought up in the countryside on farms and smallholdings are not squeamish,thay are used to it,seen it done at home.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 21 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids have been to the abattoir and seen me do plenty of butchering but they have absolutely no inclination to butcher anything. The young man I posted about has spent his whole life around farms, his dad kept cattle and he was always about when we had sheep, like I say absolutely zero interest in that kind of job

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 21 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even now the attitude is evident by the come and save us, but fuck off on Christmas eve offer to HGV drivers.
It's hard to think it isn't designed to harden attitudes and make things worse.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 21 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take the money as the van crashes or scoop it from the tarmac is a very old tactic

tis never fun if the mangled wreckage is in your kitchen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive