Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 21 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clamping is a good way to store root and tuber veg

iirc there are things about root cellars and clamping in the ds archives

beware of mice in the clamp, they "steal" as well

the sammisons had cashews on sunday and do not need to gather birdseed in the rain

do autocam things manage low light? or do they flash? either from choice?
i could flash wildlife like ivy mike, but recon that is unethical, hence no bat snaps or dull day flight details of my flock

me and a pooter and hand held button, the big lens camera and the speedlight can chat by wifi, in 3 places
far too harsh for a small critter's night vis or if it is trying to do flying stuff if the kit is well-placed and i press the button at the right time

it could be used for pretty and unusual snaps like that

the "trailcam" snaps we have seen on ds are pretty good, i do not recall any small critter ones
checking the camera specs for auto"press the button", close range and a small fast target in the light you can expect where you install it seems important
lovely snaps of a deer in a forest needs different kit to lovely snaps of ms mouse in a dark shed or digging under your hedge

for a while i have considered doing the full "big brother" thing on the wildlife, the tech can be done and it can be done on the cheap most times

sometimes the cost, money for sly or flash and crash etc for the critter is too high

interact is maybe ok, interfere or interdict is not

at the transition from film to pixel i wanted a snap of the kingfisher flying between rod, line and water,
2 decades later i would still need to spend new range rover on a lens, and that is with a very nice chip in the camera

wildlife snaps are fun, be inventive(shiny panels etc), be sneaky, be diplomatic or a "groomer" of mice, protect your chums they remember that like androcles's lion.
that last bit is important, big or small trust from both sides matters.

that seal was showing me how to have fun, and it kept me alive while it taught me playing underwater in a tube and rip
the beetle was less friendly when it blinded me for curiosity

fur and feathers are easier to chat to than the other surfaces

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 21 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the surveyors in to look for dormice again yesterday. Two were seen, but one legged it before the surveyor could put a duster bung in the end of the tube. The one caught was a juvenile male and rather pretty. Son was with us this time, so saw his first wild dormouse, in spite of having studied wild life management. Only seen captive breeding programme dormice before that. Several summer nests found, so definitely dormouse activity, just nobody at home.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 21 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace, you are creating good habitat

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 21 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rat or, hopefully, no rat

hammi has just collected and cached a handful of nuts

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 21 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fun goose view

about 200 have been gathering in groups and sometimes joining up for a few circles

they just did the real thing, the groups gained a bit of altitude and then joined into a messy V with clumps, that tidied a lot into a reasonable very broad V, they then changed from abreast to a perfect in line and set off to the south east gaining altitude as they went

splendid to watch

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 21 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds wonderful. At this time of year we tend to start seeing the Brent geese coming in down here for the winter. Last year Portsmouth council decided where they wanted them to go and put out lures. The geese didn't approve, so the lures and fenced off area turned out to be useless.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 21 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good description.
We have seen a couple of groups doing that in the past week or so.

Shane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 21 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on the road in the compound this morning - looks like it's either got squished by a car or, probably more likely, a security guard's boot:

I know they are endemic here, but it's the first wild one I've seen. Kind of a shame it's squashed, although the sting can be nasty so I'm also quite pleased it's not scuttling around looking for a pair of shoes to hide in!

This one was a Hottentotta jayakari, a species of fat-tailed scorpion.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 21 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been glad that, apart from adders and a few imported things, the UK is free of venomous creatures. I suppose you get used to it, but must be rather difficult at first to remember to check all shoes and boots for guests. An ordinary spider is bad enough. Glad you don't have them regularly in your compound.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 21 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little claws and a relatively big tail gland are said to be signs of the nastier ones with some of the smallest ones being the most venomous

ive never met wild ones, a pal met one far too close up, she said it was an unpleasant stay in hospital for a few days(although every one was pleased it wasn't one of the local snakes which were far worse)

" which sort of scorpion or snake was in your boot?" would be a fun game show

iirc a CSI/ hotel inspector UV torch makes the critters glow in the dark which might be useful if it is critter season

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 21 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the king of the rough pigeons got his arse bitten by a sparrow

bishop brennan moment

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 21 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another 4 sparrows, bit late but they look well nest fed

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 21 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of sparrows here.... might have something to do with me feeding them. Also, loads of Azul Magpies Saw a female Golden Oriole about 3 weeks ago.

Butterflies are also out in full force plus the odd Dragonfly. Bees are going ballistic on the Elaeagnus and the Rosemary.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 21 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few butterflies here now. We seem to have a few wasps around, but most insects now settling for the winter, especially as the weather has been a bit wet and windy lately.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 21 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still have wasps but not quite as many as earlier in the year... although we do have a very annoying explosion of fruit flies.... having said that, the mosquitoes are positively aggressive at the moment! I have lost count of how many bites I have.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110
Page 110 of 110
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive