Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Landscaping project
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 21 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the pump switch is outdoor rated and is the feed is safe?

for feed i usually use armoured cable outside and if poss stick it in a tube at the bottom of a trench

metal trunking tube is sort of ok for load side wires

rats and squirrels and mice sir, fosands of em

soft wires exposed to mechanical, weathering and vermin damage is plausible,eyeball fail, sorry but i want everyone alive and no insurance or other issues.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 21 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a bit dodge on that front. the cable on the pump wasn't armoured, for that matter the cable on outdoor lights isn't armoured and one set I am just cannibalising for more lighting was replaced because it eventually got nibbled.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 21 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be very blunt spending a few quid on materials and a good spark is never money wasted
it will work, stay working and does not have the multiple risks of death by shock, death by fire, bankruptcy due to insurance or litigation issues etc.

you have done loads of excellent stuff outside, the leccy needs to be as good or better.

my first question would be "can i see your consumer unit please" to establish you have capacity to add an external collection of loads via a single feed to a hub or external ring
second question"what loads do you want to use"
after that it is finding routes, choosing cable sizes(that matters with distance as well as load etc)and doing a good job while installing it(it is amazing how a tiny error of design or execution can ruin your day, especially with outdoor leccy.)

have you considered low voltage for outside?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 21 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When that's dry then it coach screw time.

I did think about low voltage, but figured the pump would need some amperage behind it, as would grow lights. Some cable is in conduit and more will be.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 21 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the galvanized stuff is ok outside, if you use good gland/plate protocols on decent quality materials etc

you might want to borrow a pipe bender, or you need to plan for kinks and corners with fittings

earthing is a complex subject for outside stuff, secondary to the one from the head is wise

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 21 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps if the indoor wiring has a current and valid certificate, any additions will void that unless they are ticketed off by a spark with the right current permits

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 21 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The waterfall was getting a bit overgrown, now a bit more visible.
Have finished trunking the extension to the greenhouse and the pump.
We also have the lights wired in.
Came across another outdoor junction box which will be handy for grow lights and lights in the greenhouse. The first box looks crowded with just 6 choc box connectors.
For the pump wiring I used some connector where you don't even strip the wire, you just insert and crimp with pliers, but I figured that would be messy for the split off to do the lights.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 21 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice water feature with rocks, ideal for phibs(so long as the pump filter is phib safe, a frog in yer pump is bad for all)

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 21 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all looks lovely. You seem to manage to keep things well managed.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 21 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point in yet another photo of concrete, but we have finally done a couple more wheelbarrows of concrete round some of the posts beneath the deck.
The cement was going spare and it can do little harm.
So need to relay the decking, but I think that's pretty much it until after the BBQ on the 14th.
Chance to tidy up a bit again. Blink and the bindweed comes back!

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 21 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good plan mate, tis a pity i am not able to see it "on site" at the mo

i am watching paint dry and rain fall near paint is not a prob, i predicted time and direction and work location detail, it has not and will not do "orange peel"

dust was the issue as i have been coach painting a front door in situ
best to pop a temp in the doorway and paint the real one in a clean room, but i recon i got it as a close run thing, hooves and flippers crossed

the new builders over the road, who are starting a serious extension job, might have taken the hint of a paddington stare and decided hosing their "outgoings" was sensible

i was shown the hose in use with no words required and gave a cheery wave and thanks

love154

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 21 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any body used these before

https://www.fencingandlandscapesupplies.co.uk/ironmongery/metposts/drive-in-post-spikes

https://www.fencingandlandscapesupplies.co.uk/ironmongery/metposts/bolt-down-post-shoes-supports

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 21 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metposts are ok

ten year lifespan

use the correct type for the thing you are attaching them to

fix them well, wonkiness multiplies

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 21 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used shoes on concrete.

But I use them for decking and its a matter of what forces apply. I'd have to say that the fitting I used would stand no chance if we were talking about a fence and I'm dubious as to what fittings easily would.

As for spikes, I have a load of posts in a circle using spikes with lights going round the circle, again no fence though. It hasn't gone wonky in several years and it won't really matter if it does.

If wind is hitting a fence, then it's a different game and deep holes and concrete has a lot going for it.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 21 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we have used both. The spike ones for a bit of a larch lap fence which has now disintegrated but the metposts are still there after 20 years. We have also used them to support wires for apple trees. I should point out that they are into chalk though. We have used the others for wiring a blackberry, but they have only been in for a year or so, but no reason to think they won't stay firm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48
Page 48 of 48
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive