Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
a different not for the pot, wasps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 21 3:39 pm    Post subject: a different not for the pot, wasps Reply with quote

gulp

rugby ball size is the biggest i have met

gz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 21 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 21 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most hold a few thousand at most and are not much bigger than a grapefruit wearing a shoe
even those can be interesting if upset

that chap was lucky it was a historic palace rather than a royal residence

i like wasps but .......

the rugby ball size one was 3/4 in a roof void and 1/4 stuck to a tile in my hand when i met it on top of an extension i was demolishing

jump down 4m was far better than head for the ladder
a big un is a scary thought

i do like them if we start by making friends, surprises lead to misunderstandings with disturbing consequences

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 21 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps i am typing, they are not

if that sort of thing ever happens, go for plenty of nasty op's, a delivery system(area and for the nest)

wait

get them when they are a little calmer and busy with repairs etc or snoozing

relocate might be possible, ether at dusk, into a box, nest fixed in new home, they wake up in the morning and do the best they can chances are the local ones will be violently upset and effectively defend their territory

live and let live or ruthless violence before they do it if there is a serious conflict of interest
living in the same place is easy, they are quite relaxed critters, we do not have a nest at the mo but we have visitors who are very polite, i have touched them by accident and stroked a few, "friendly for something that alien" said polly the wasp
if conflict happens do not lose

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 21 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We removed one about that size (over two feet across) from the front of my mother's house when I was a kid. It was whitefaced hornets, which are the bigger nastier cousin of these guys. Also said to only use a nest for one year, but our house was proof positive that there are exceptions to that rule, because they were at our house in the same ever larger hive for I think three summers (could have been only two, but it was definitely more than one).

We ended up spraying it with nasty stuff and cutting it off the house and into a giant garbage bag. They had gone beyond live and let live and were starting to sting us anytime we were walking by, mowing the lawn, etc

I brought it in to show my 4th or 5th grade class (can't quite remember - long time ago)

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 21 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible let the wasps live. They are one reason we aren't knee deep in flies, as they feed their young on insects, particularly grubs. I would agree though that finding a nest when doing repairs is a nasty shock, and it may not be possible to relocate.

We get hornets in the wood, and they have never bothered us. They sound like a V bomber, but just leave us alone. Very pretty as they are bright orange and black with bright pink legs. We probably have at least one nest there a year, but we rarely know where it is, as it is in a hollow tree somewhere, and we have a fair number of possible nest sites.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 21 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing is a beast!

I remember one building one around one of our windows when I was a kid. My dad swiftly removed it. The wasp came back and had a sniff about. It flew off and we never saw it again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive