Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
cleaning and metal and new style

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 21 12:39 pm    Post subject: cleaning and metal and new style Reply with quote

at the mo i am trying "safety pickle" and an utrasonic water bath machine

nitric is faster and quieter and one dip one wash next, this is multi dip to get into the crevices of silver 2 tone makume gane in progress

after this clean and a little slapping, i need to fix the billet to a stick of " 925" as a handle and work it until it is ready for making very posh wire with a nice hamon

the billet is from super fine drawn wire( high Au) and easy melt squirty paste(tin, copper, something minor?), both 925 but very different although compatible metals in a folded mess

making as wire is rather tense, making a billet and making wire is a good next try for a practical length to reinforce a handle

i have some nice wire made bits, i need a couple of M rolled out as a consistent length for the job, and to i need to perfect the method to make that

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 21 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaning is one thing, making wire from a billet is another. You don't make life easy for yourself do you. Good luck with it.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 21 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the proto billet is looking ok

a few thoughts about makume gane

the commercial sheet stuff is crude, more ratners than faberge

most "trained" or "educated" smiths often have no talent for it, it is art and artisan and magick as well as actually understanding technical metallurgy in a complex composite product that is fit for purpose and workable
for assorted odd reasons i seem to have that skill and knowledge mix
i can sort of follow the knowledge trails but for them to coincide usefully is a bit odd
for half a year i had a future and access to play with the facilities available, some books a basic workshop and an amazed tutor
he said 5 yrs at jeweller school and he always failed, i said get it hot and hit it properly

i have had plenty of blobby failures, making as wire is too tense
billet and make wire makes sense

ps judging temps by colour and knowing which matter, knowing how the metals behave and interact at whatever temp are important. as are the manual skills of playing with hot things( the mistype on that word was amusing) and tools etc

i need a fire proof room, a mechanical/ machine room and a bench room

improvised will do for this, im not sure tt will be happy about my anvil block in the sitting room
"I'm only going to tap at it and it will be cold"

if the shed was metal that would be ideal, wood not so much

tapping in a metal shed might upset folk, at the mo i am using a felling wedge on my lap as an anvil

hey ho, hey ho, improvise we go

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 21 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be nice to have fire and oxy/fuel for hot stuff

mapp/drawn air and mini butane torch are ok, sort of, and less antisocial than cylinders and a chimney with sparks in an urban area

a bit of silver smithing is lap top stuff, special metal or special product does need special facilities even if they are improvised

my finger ring is a bit of tube alloys scrap "incoloy tm" from the family metal collection
i have about a kilo of bar and no place to go

that stuff needs about 1550c to forge it with a hammer, the sparks when making bar to coin and piercing it to forge a rough ring were fun,
shaping it was emery paper in the pub

most of this sort of thing is bench or lap, some is a little extreme

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 21 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really should get the mini anvil and flat block with a chisel hole out of the shed

the main issues are they are set in a metal drum full of very nice concrete with metal and for indoors i need to pop that on a stand on a solid floor and i am running out of solid floor

wayland with a pub brolly in the yard has little appeal but might be the best option unless the tapping is too much during darkness oh dear

day tap inside might be best, im not sure how the "home worker" might feel about that

the cooker extractor fan is fairly efficient for fumes etc and i have means to improvise a small hearth of soft refractory blocks without murdering the hob

ideal would be play in a box with a one way mirror(or video stream) so i dont see them and the public pay to view to cover premises

me and a chum , who carves new and restoration wood, considered premises
incompatible trades was a real problem that might be solvable, only needing it part time was an issue for both of us, price is daft round here(a garage size space costs more than a floor of a disused and undeveloped w yorks mill)

having to rotate kit due to space issues and having to improvise basics is challenging
not being annoying is even more tricky when improvising or finding a place to use for the job kit

ps the classic eboracum/yorvik/ style of home and workshop has merit, going off to"work" to do crafty arty stuff is far more like a job than life

the hot, toxic and if done badly dangeroos might be best in an out building

pps milling wire is easy, tis the other bits of the process that are not.
i could just buy wire roughly the right shape, nah, this deserves better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive