Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Our Thanksgiving Dinner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 12:18 am    Post subject: Our Thanksgiving Dinner Reply with quote

We decided that this year staying home was the prudent way to celebrate. Twenty other people, adults and children, at least one adult not vaccinated, no quick tests mentioned, weather chilly enough that we'd be indoors - nope, no way, call us wimps, whatever.

I did two fresh duck breasts - sear in cast iron pan skin side down to melt out the fat, turn over, turn back and finish in a very hot oven.

Wild rice. Don't know who else on Downsizer might have ever enjoyed this native North American grain. Very nice, also expensive, special treat.

Braised carrots. Brussels sprouts. Sour cherry "side" to go with the duck rather than something cranberry.

Dessert, or so a friend once told me, is spelled with two ss-es so you can ask for seconds. Not today. Today we had two desserts. Well brandied fruitcake from last year, periodically taken out of the refrigerator and baptized again since last December. Also a flourless chocolate orange cake with creme Anglaise flavored with dark rum.

Dishes are dealt with. Pots can wait until tomorrow.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds really yummy, wild rice is nice but as you say rather expensive
it goes well with fish, i discovered it in an expensive NYC fish restaurant

it is not quite the same as the stuff sold here as wild rice, which i do not think is north american or wild growing and foraged into a bag
i seem to think our usual version comes from a cultivated swamp in eastern europe and it seems to have thinner grains as well as having a cultivated rather than gathered price, the proper stuff is far better

for swamp forage cat tail reed, typhia, are pretty good in several ways, iirc they feature in first nations' cuisine in damp places, and in my bit of the uk if i don't mind getting wet

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Jam Lady, and far safer to celebrate on your own. As Dpack says, we get a different form of wild rice here; often mixed with ordinary rice to make it even cheaper, but gives and interesting flavour. Ideal for a special occasion like Thanksgiving.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all sounds like a very yummy line up JL.

I hope you state siders all had a lovely day.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds lovely

was there a good side to being just the two of you? Nice and peaceful and drama free

My son though last Christmas was the best ever as he didnt have to see anyone other than me and his grandparents (we were in a social bubble).

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often see wild rice and white rice packaged together. The problem with that is wild rice takes much longer to cook. So if wild rice is done the white rice is mushy. If I do want the combination I cook separately and combine just before serving.

Here are two images so you can see how yummy our meal was.

Today I scrubbed all the pots and polished their copper bottoms. Will bring out the first of the holiday decorations. And finish clearing out my garage bay / summer plants prepared for winter work area so I can get my car inside - it is supposed to perhaps snow tonight!

gz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a nice meal.
In AotearoaNZ you can buy a mix of red rice and wild rice. Cooks ok together and tastes good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive