Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
dpack crazy planning for a new back perimiter

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 22 1:19 pm    Post subject: dpack crazy planning for a new back perimiter Reply with quote

the wall is messy, 25 yrs ago a willow tree was dropped, then they fixed the sewer down the alley, not very well, then it was dug again for remedial works

none of the backfill was adequate

quite a few of the houses now have a back wall with undermined footings

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the brick rebuilds folk have done over a new footing look expensive

we need a gate and a palisade that can "hang" from the solid brickwork of a return from the party walls which are still strong

a frame and skin might do the job

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

the side of a scrapped stock trailer might be stylish upcycling if done well, that was the part where i got inventive

not as daft as it seems, install a "wall with a door" might be cheaper and nicer than create a wall with a door

what do you think?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

and the big shed+woodshed are to be replaced with space and some wall base storage

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 22 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it would certainly be different. Not sure it will look too good, but you will be having to look at it, and I suppose you could always get creative with the paint. Alternative is a fence. You can get some pretty sturdy pallets that could be taken apart and used.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 22 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm , as fas as i can see we are outside the conservation area by 50M or so

there are no "funtionaries" any more so unless people die(well ... maybe not even then) or somebody wants to make a silly fuss at their expense a wall or fence or "statement" is my choice( i can suggest, the boss will get to choose )

engineering, price and look are the only issues which helps a lot

so.... wind and a bit of a bit of ground heave are high on the design criteria

i recon i can get a solid fixing at both ends for minimum cost and effort, the forces on a 2x 3.5 M panel need thought to know how strong they need to be

the roller shutter next door rattles a bit in wind but it has not blown away in 25 yrs

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 22 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps the wall needs fixing cos people might die with a few more degrees of the wrong nudge

once you know there is a responsibility

the top of the new one will be a finger chopper

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 22 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to go for a fence, thing about hazel hurdles on chestnut posts if wind is a problem. You might have to give them preservative treatment every year or two for maximum life, but if nothing grows through them or nobody tries to bounce off them, they should be good for 10 years. Otherwise, no good for privacy, by we have had chain link up for 40 years on a windy hill and it slows the wind down on our side a lot.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 22 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

security is an issue

i do not have space for organic security apart from growing razor wire along and over the top
this needs to fit into the space taken by a 9" solid brick wall, and there is a "modern beehive cobble" alley one side and a concreted yard the other

i need an uninviting vertical about 2.5 M tall to be strong for that and robust enough to last for a few decades minimum

the wind is moderate even during "not a hurricane" days, but wind sheer needs consideration, especially if plants might get established on it

"normal"would be a roller shutter or brick like for like, most wood would be pointless(pointed wood would have to be big and expensive)

build or fabricate seem the best options, what with is a puzzle

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 22 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natural razor wire is berberes, firethorn, blackthorn or hawthorn. Hawthorn is also known as quickthorn as it grows quickly, blackthorn is not recommended as it is evil and the thorn punctures go septic very frequently. All have pretty flowers and good fruit for your feathered friends, but would need regular trimming to keep them within your 10" space. Coupled with a 2.5m chain link fence would do, but would take a few years to get tall and thick. Fulfill other critera though, and the sparrows would love it as a chattering place.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 22 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bramble and roses are high on my list

blackthorn etc need too much space underground, the ground on the perimeter is trashed footing, concrete and alleyway backfill
anything growing will need to be in box beds rather than planted into the earth, it would be nice if the box beds were mostly pretty and edible and not too big(i may want to put a heritage apple in the corner and train it along two sides)

the floor of the yard is small even when thought of as a blank canvas

i need to consider the sammisons as their current hall has got to go, oh dear

the "bed" as seen in wildlife snaps etc must stay, it is healthy and rather nice for the wildlife
something similar should work on the other sides
i will have bricks to create more cornish banks/planters

as the engineering is flexible at the mo it may be a good idea to have a bit of a low level poke to see what is under the middle, just in case i want a centre post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive